• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical Gremlins

Mackman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
New to me 69 GTX. Appears to have all new wiring thru-out. Currently there is no power to the windshield washer, but there are bigger problems with the turn signals and 4-way flashers.
The 4-way flashers function as they should, the left and right turn signal lamps in the dash work, and the front and back turn signals flash as they should.
TURN SIGNALS
When I switch on the right turn signals, the following things happen:
1. Right turn signal lamp in dash does not light.
2. Instrument lamps in dash flash.
3. License plate lamp illuminates and flashes.
4. left and right front and rear turn signals illuminate and flash.
5. When I turn on the park lights or headlights with the right turn signals activated, the turn signals stop flashing but remain lit.
When I switch on the left turn signals, the left turn signal instrument lamp lights and flashes, and the turn signals function as they should, regardless of the park or headlights being turned on.
Any help would be appreciated.

New to me 69 GTX. Appears to have all new wiring thru-out. Currently there is no power to the windshield washer, but there are bigger problems with the turn signals and 4-way flashers.
The 4-way flashers function as they should, the left and right turn signal lamps in the dash work, and the front and back turn signals flash as they should.
TURN SIGNALS
When I switch on the right turn signals, the following things happen:
1. Right turn signal lamp in dash does not light.
2. Instrument lamps in dash flash.
3. License plate lamp illuminates and flashes.
4. left and right front and rear turn signals illuminate and flash.
5. When I turn on the park lights or headlights with the right turn signals activated, the turn signals stop flashing but remain lit.
When I switch on the left turn signals, the left turn signal instrument lamp lights and flashes, and the turn signals function as they should, regardless of the park or headlights being turned on.
Any help would be appreciated.

What about 4 way flasher with parking lights on?

My first thought is a ground issue with right tail light... &/or front parking light, but will check first the right tail light. It could be also the right tail light bulb fit unpropperly on socket.

@Nacho-RT74 hermano ahi te hablan...

LOL

4-ways work correctly with the parking lights on. Grounded right tail light, no change.

Tail light bulb fitment?

Remove bulb to check if everthing else get to works normally without that bulb.

Check also front right parking light

Makes no difference bulbs in or out, grounded both sockets, still no difference.

Answer:”appears to have all new wiring thru-out”
Get a FSM DVOM etc. and start tracing

what about if you disconect tail light harness to check if front right turning ( and cluster ) comes in ? Dunno if you get a plug into the trunk or will need to remove kick panel to reach that plug

&/or also the same with front parking light

Haven’t the new turn signal switches been a problem lately? Seems like I’ve see this issue before and it was a defective turn signal switch.

When I had some odd things going on making no sense cuz it was affecting other circuits, I found some issues in the fuse block. A connector was making contact with another connection likely due to road vibration showing indication of heat. Some of the connections looked corroded. I made some new connectors (insulated as the original ones were not) and cleaned all connections. Another thing I noticed was the block wasn't secured tightly likely causing movement - anyway when I did this I didn't have any gremlins.

I don't think a fuseblock failure will affect just one side turning. But I'm agree there is somekind of short between two circuits. I'm toward to harness or sockets or sockets pigtail. However, the 4 way flasher is working nice so is weird.

Turning switch... there is no relation between turnings and parking lights on turning switch. I can't see how the turning switch could cause that. Not saying is not posible but just I can't see it.

I checked out every suggestion that was offered, thanks for the input. Pulled the fuse for the instrument lamps, and the lights that weren't supposed to be flashing stopped flashing. Went to the 10-pin connector at the steering column, and found that on the column side of the connector, someone had pulled the 18T wire out ou position 3 and landed it at position 5. I moved it back to position 3, and everything works as it should. 6 hours and done.

Attachments

• 69 wiring diagram.pdf
    604.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 69 wiring diagram.pdf
    604.2 KB · Views: 136
I checked out every suggestion that was offered, thanks for the input. Pulled the fuse for the instrument lamps, and the lights that weren't supposed to be flashing stopped flashing. Went to the 10-pin connector at the steering column, and found that on the column side of the connector, someone had pulled the 18T wire out ou position 3 and landed it at position 5. I moved it back to position 3, and everything works as it should. 6 hours and done.
Nice hunt down - thx for letting us know

Auto Transport Service
Back