• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical harness recommendations

Newman0072

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations regarding new whole body electrical harnesses for a 69 roadrunner that support holley or other aftermarket ignition systems. We have the original harnesses but don't want to reuse that due to old insulation, just don't want to risk an electrical fire.

Do you want modern type wiring and blade/ATO fuses or OE style?

An OE type won't "support" aftermarket ignitions in that they are reproductions of the original parts. An MSD type ignition will require "tying IGN1 and IGN2 together" to have have a full 12V in both crank and run. With an aftermarket ignition, you would most likely be getting rid of the ballast resistor as well, just some thikngs to consider.

I will say though that even some of the more modern replacement harnesses do not address this issue with the unique Mopar starting configuration because almost anything you find is based of Brand-X stuff.

What this means is that whatever you buy will likely need to be modified anyway. I would go with the more modern type stuff available. They usually use better wire and blade fuses and build in extra already-fused circuitry for stuff like electric fans or other accessories that use a lot of current.

Classic Industries sells factory type harnesses with modifications to accept an electronic voltage regulator and Chrysler style electronic ignition. Their website is really lousy so it's hard to find them but they are good quality and priced inexpensively as well. You could start with one of these and then just modify the ignition portion to accept an aftermarket system.

When I replaced the wiring in my '62 Savoy Suburban, I used the WR-95 Retro Series Mopar Wiring Kit from Ron Francis Wiring, Ron Francis Wiring . It's a "generic" kit that includes options for additional equipment/accessories. I wasn't concerned with maintaining originality, so as part of the process, I eliminated the bulkhead connector and ammeter, added a volt meter, solid state voltage regulator, and solid state voltage limiter. I would also recommend a FSM, a color wiring diagram from www.classiccarwiring.com and don't discard your old harness until the jobs done.

I had replaced my original harness which was in a bad and cut up shape as well.
On the side of that i run any additional wiring for the MSD ignition and other extra's i added to the car.
Once the standard harness is in place you can use it to support all additional wiring you require.
Once tested and all is good, label and disconnect everything and wrap the extra wiring to make it look like stock.

I think all these harnesses you can buy that are "so easy to install" are just a PITA, you can add additional fuse boxes, relais as you like, just make a good drawing and pick a good location for the components.

As rmchrgr said, for the MSD you can use the IGN1 and IGN2 wiring for a full 12V source, the MSD's do not require the use of a ballast resistor.
I used these together to function a 40Amp relais to provide a full 12V source direct from battery to the ignition to relief this electrical load from the main harness.
You could do the same if you plan on running H4 type head lights as an example to keep those heavy loads of the main wiring.

And don't forget to include a new firewall connector, the old one will likely be in bad shape and can cause problems.

Agreed om M&H. Correct colors on cables so you can follow the original wiring diagram. Original style connectors that fit into the car.
It was very easy to install and also easy to mod for an electronic ign box. I replaced all the wiring in my car and did the bulk head bypass mod.

Yep, M&H is very good.
I changed all wiring harness in my '69 Coronet with their wiring and had no issues.

I used American auto wire about 10 years ago to rewire the 69 Camaro. It was a classic upgrade or update series and it was complete. It seemed to me the wires were the exact same colors of the originals so basically all you have to do was put connectors and run the wires. The wires were also bagged and tagged. Of course it did take a little while.

The only issue I had was with the GM you had replace alternator and I hadn’t read the fine details.

I am having a couple electrical issues and I am seriously considering replacing mine too and then I’ll just sell the old one. But the cost for the complete set is around $1000 to $1100. But you should also be able to sell the old harness.

lastly, the update series uses new style fuses and worked very very well. I am sure M&H will too. This is a tedious process but I figure it to is better to do now than when I am totally reassembled.

Just another option and opinion.

Auto Transport Service
Back