• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical issues? NOW WITH PICTURES AND INFO

I took the negative battery cable out of the car. Layed it on a bench and set my ohm meter 0. Took the two probes and touched each end of the cable and the result was 0 ohms of resistance? I did the same thing with the attached radiator support ground wire which is part of the negative battery cable in 1970. It also reads 0 ohms of resistance? So I am trying hard to figure out where the high resistance is? I have removed the engine block bolt in the front of the head and the captured nut in the radiator support was also sanded clean, even though both were nice and clean. So I am actually doing what people here are talking about, but not getting anywhere?
Just checking the resistance with an ohm meter won't tell the whole truth. You need to have a load applied to see what it does with amp draw. Someone posted previously how you need to do that. Or just go to a parts house and buy a $10 negative cable for a temporary check.

Just use the jumper cable as was suggested 2 pages ago.

Load test the cable. Hook it to the battery terminal and put your load tester negative lead on the other end of the cable and the positive lead on the battery terminal and hit the switch.

"This started with the car starter not engaging in the start mode. So I removed the original starter and bought a high torques mini starter"

Some "mini-starters" place the positive cable connection very close to the block.
Are you sure the positive cable is not shorted to the block?

Edit: My comment relates to the melted wires, not the no-crank condition you had prior to the dead short event.

Last edited:
"This started with the car starter not engaging in the start mode. So I removed the original starter and bought a high torques mini starter"

Some "mini-starters" place the positive cable connection very close to the block.
Are you sure the positive cable is not shorted to the block?
If that was true it would be grounded all the time. This only happens when he is trying to crank it.

I took the negative battery cable out of the car. Layed it on a bench and set my ohm meter 0. Took the two probes and touched each end of the cable and the result was 0 ohms of resistance? I did the same thing with the attached radiator support ground wire which is part of the negative battery cable in 1970. It also reads 0 ohms of resistance? So I am trying hard to figure out where the high resistance is? I have removed the engine block bolt in the front of the head and the captured nut in the radiator support was also sanded clean, even though both were nice and clean. So I am actually doing what people here are talking about, but not getting anywhere?

Continuity with an ohm meter is no assurance that your cable is capable of handling the current while cranking.

Auto Transport Service
Back