• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition / points ignition / MSD Digital 6A & 6AL

Nope. Breathers are fine. Just a suggestion on where to look for a leak. If you have a holley, there is a big hose fitting at the backof the throttle plate for the pcv that could be a leak. Ive had the cap fall off when using breathers, wont idle at all!

How do you know the cam timing is set correctly? Have you removed a valve cover and verified valve opening and closing compared to crank position?
Sounds like timing issue to me....

I'mm starting to think you may have bad fuel? Has the fuel been in the car a long time or could have gotten water in it?

You said it was freshly overhauled and hasn’t started a first time yet? Are the plug wires in the correct firing order?
Open up the idle mixture screw a bit to get some more air in. Sometimes I’ve had to triple check I’m at TDC and my timing is correct.

Like rusty72 suggests check the firing order with respective wires (bb--counterclockwise, sb--clockwise) also, is your choke partially cracked open or is it fully closed?

Early Charging System modified for use with a 70 style VR

There are a number of reasons one might want to upgrade a per-1970 system to a transistorized voltage regulator. The list of reason include

• Chrysler recommends you switch to a transistorized VR if you upgrade to an electronic ignition from a points style ignition.
  • If you have to buy a new voltage regulator, the difference in cost is only about $5-10 more for the transistorized unit. Not to mention, the quality of replacement early style VR's is spotty.
  • The transistorized VR will have a longer life.
Below is a diagram describing how to install a 70 and later Voltage Regulator on a sixties mopar.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Electrical/charging.htm
Thanks for the input. I’ll look into this. Currently the car is running great. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auto Transport Service
Back