• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elevating Car To Remove 727 Transmission

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am about to begin removal of the 727 torqueflite in my 69 roadrunner and I want to get some idea's on getting the car high enough to get this big transmission out. I don't have a lift and the last time I had the trans out I cut some 2 foot lengths of railroad cross ties and double stacked them under each wheel. This gave me around 10 inches of lift under each wheel which was plenty to get the trans out. Those cross ties have long since rotted and I would love to hear what you guys do without the luxury of a lift. Thanks!!!

6 ton jack stands front to rear. I set the stands on a piece of 2x10. I can't remember the exact size of the 2x10. I just made them a little bigger than the stands. I had an old creeper that i put the trans on and it rolled out from under the car.

Yup

Jack stands under the frame work are a must...keeps the car from moving, unlike having it on its tires as you suggest. What size (2,3, 6 ton) is not so important as all will safely support the cars weight. I have done it with just the front end in the air and with the whole thing up and level. The latter was easier...trying to put one back in 'nose up' was much more challenging. Main thing is that you have a jack (for the transmission) that will reach high enough to set the tranny. I used a standard floor jack that I fabbed a wider pad out of 2x4s to support the trans. Or you could rent a transmission jack! They can make the job easier.

Yup

Jack stands under the frame work are a must...keeps the car from moving, unlike having it on its tires as you suggest. What size (2,3, 6 ton) is not so important as all will safely support the cars weight. I have done it with just the front end in the air and with the whole thing up and level. The latter was easier...trying to put one back in 'nose up' was much more challenging. Main thing is that you have a jack (for the transmission) that will reach high enough to set the tranny. I used a standard floor jack that I fabbed a wider pad out of 2x4s to support the trans. Or you could rent a transmission jack! They can make the job easier.

When I did have it on the tires with the cross ties underneath I used some scotch blocks to keep the car from rolling. I have some 2 ton stands and they don't go high enough but 6 ton stands would get the car up really nice.

I will be attempting the same feat on a 69 Cornet soon. Any ideas on supporting the back of the engine with some sort of brace so the car can be moved after the tranny is out?

I used some 1/2 drive extensions snapped together.

I don't remember using any support on the back of my motor. The motor mounts should be stout enough and are close 'enough' to center, to keep it off the firewall. Well, they are on a small block anyway... Actually a 'slight' tilt back makes it a bit easier to stab when it goes back in. Put a floor jack under the rear of the oil pan and let it down slowly once the trans is out. It it looks like it's going to tilt too far, then you can asses what might need to go in there. I mean think about it...when a trans shop pulls a tranny for rebuild, they usually move the vehicle to open up the lift for more vehicles. I can't imagine they have a wall full of diffent fixtures for each type of car. Or do they? :)

Last edited:
I have done it with and without support.

I used the 6 ton stands to get the car up high enough to remove the trans. I used a small jack under the trans to lower it down and then transferred it to a old creeper, you could also use a piece of cardboard to put the trans on and then pull it out from under the car. i also used the jack to lift the trans back into place.

I used some 1/2 drive extensions snapped together.

I'm mistaken. I pulled the engine and supported the transmission with 1/2 drive extensions. My mistake. Sorry.

Back