• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine bay painting

Steve K

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
After almost 30 years,(yes have owned it a long time.) I've finally decided to paint my engine bay body color. It's been flat black since I got the car. What parts of the bay get color? Does the K-frame get body color? Do the rails that the K-frame attaches to? I'm going to try and detail all of the under hood components too like the blower motor, wiper motor. The engine will be out so I can really accesses every corner of the bay. I'm not doing a restoration, but want it to look a bit more original and finished.
1973 Charger, '71 Ram Charger Hood, painted sublime green

Body color is every part welded to the car. Plus the body panels: hood, hinges, latch bracket, fenders, valence. Also the hood catch, the round rod bolted to the bottom front of the hood.

The hood latch, spring, levers, secondary latch are not body color.

Hope this helps.

abc.jpg abc2.jpg abc3.jpg abc4.JPG abc5.jpg

No, the small cover to access the front upper control arm adjustment nut/stud. I had a 74 RR and I remember mine being painted black (car was red).

You have several things painted that should not be painted.

2 wire looms on driver lower rear inner fender well
Bolt for brake valve
Linkage bracket
2 metal covers for alignment in front of shock tower each side

5404B6A6-7EA7-4229-9E60-B179C2B46BEC.jpeg

You have several things painted that should not be painted.

2 wire looms on driver lower rear inner fender well
Bolt for brake valve
Linkage bracket
2 metal covers for alignment in front of shock tower each side

View attachment 964398

I have replaced the wire looms with new pieces since painted, but what color was the linkage bracket (Natural)??

I want to say that linkage bracket should be neutral but I don't have any proof...

OK Time flies and I'm still working on my engine compartment paint. I've got everything out (except the brake lines, resevoir and steering column) Going to get everything media blasted. I go to a auto paint store to ask about primers and paint. I haven't done anything like this in 30 years. The guys at the counter are great providing paint information and then when I tell them I'm going to be painting it '70 Sublime they couldn't find the paint chip in their books. I found on-line the paint page, is this page enough info to give them? Or do I need some sort of "Paint Code" to accurately match the paint?

1970-dodge-pc.jpg

Also as a funny note, while I'm talking to them about primers and the process, one of the counter guys chimes in, " Oh yeah that was a popular color, I remember painting a guys road runner "Hemi Green, its just like that color".... I did not say anything....

FJ5 is the code
I like Hemi Green as a name. Sounds like something Chrysler should have used :thumbsup:

Also as a funny note, while I'm talking to them about primers and the process, one of the counter guys chimes in, " Oh yeah that was a popular color, I remember painting a guys road runner "Hemi Green, its just like that color".... I did not say anything....

That color was only available on the 440 Hemis :D

Auto Transport Service
Back