• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine block info on a 440?

koosh

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Will a number on a 440 block tell you year and whether or not if steel crank with pilot hole for manual trans? If so, where is this number located? Is the number readable if motor is in the car?
New at this 440 stuff, I don’t know if there are “variations “ of the 440, and if a six-pak intake and carbs can be installed on any 440?
Thanks!

Date is on driver’s side of block…BIG numbers, just look. All 440 cranks are forged ‘73 & older. No way to know if it’s drilled unless it’s bolted to a manual transmission. Six packs bolt to any 440

...No way to know if it’s drilled unless it’s bolted to a manual transmission...
Not entirely true. I have seen where idiots have chopped off the end of an input shaft in order to bolt a manual trans to an engine with an automatic crankshaft, but I would have to say that your point is usually correct.

Show us some pictures of the engine and we might be able to help you. You will have to get under the car to see the casting date. The pad on the top front of the engine should have a date stamp.
What are you trying to do with it?

Will a number on a 440 block tell you year.....where is this number located....
Yeah, the car model year got stamped (as a code) on the I.D. pad in front of the intake area, and the block's born-on date got cast into the driver side below the head.

....and whether or not if steel crank with pilot hole for manual trans?
The casting/stamping numbers won't tell you that stuff.
They tell you things like dates and times/worker shift, engine type, car type (HP or not), and other engine specifics like if it got different-than-stock-sized crankshaft/rod bearings or journals.
Some years got the full VIN, others just the last 8 digits, and I think even some got nothing.
In the later 70s they DID add a stamping on the pad that indicated a cast crankshaft but nothing about being drilled for a manual-transmission.
As @vance.dykes said, go check out the 440Source's info pages, lots of good stuff in there and so far it's all been shown to be pretty accurate.

and if a six-pak intake and carbs can be installed on any 440?
yes-meme-13-2687161664.jpeg

Purpose of my question, im looking at 69 super bee, original 383 car, now 440.
Owner doesn’t know anything about the motor. Im not a fan of cast cranks, so trying to get history/year of motor?

What’s stamped on the block only referenced what it had when new. Back in the 80’s, I witnessed the tear down of a matching # block in a ‘71 V code ‘Cuda. It had a cast crank and the 8.5 to 1 pistons in it. It ran great, but the guy said it didn’t seem to make much power. 8^]

Cast crank will have a different balancer than forged crank.

Auto Transport Service
Back