• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine break in

paul1969cars

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
Just rebuild 1969 440 engine. Stock Setup.
I understand that zinc should be in oil for break-in period and possibly longer.

I purchased Castrol GTX SEA 10w-40 Oil

Does this have zinc in it? Doesn state on bottle. And if it does is it enough for break in?

If not i did purchase Lucas Zinc additive. Would it hurt to add this additive anyway? Its says one bottle of additive per oil change.

Thanks

Return the oil you bought, and purchase Joe Gibbs Driven BR40, and follow the break-in instructions. Replace filter, and run the break-in oil for up to 400 miles (or no longer than 30 days), and replace oil with HR5 10W-40 oil with zinc and a new filter. Adding a zinc additive is the incorrect way to break in and run a flat tappet cam engine, but others will follow this post disagreeing with me, but I don't care. NONE of the engines I have built, using Joe Gibbs assembly grease, Joe Gibbs Driven Break-In oil, and the Joe Gibbs HotRod oil following break-in has ever lost a cam.

ps.. There also is Amsoil, but I have never used it or sold it, but hear it is good also...

Last edited:
Great advice above, also if that engine has sat for a time, I would waste a intake gasket/pan. Dump some cam break in lube on the cam and lifters.
I think the Lucas additive is good later on in the engines life at oil changes.
That Gibbs or simular break in oil with zinc in it is the way to go.

Thanks

Im uploaded some progress pics of car as well

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

I knew my engine would be sitting for a good while so the intake was left off of it and then bagged.

Auto Transport Service
Back