• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine code question

blacdog2

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
were can i find a list to tell info on the 2 383 motors i have, like what they came out of and if one is # matching from a 1968 charger

were can i find a list to tell info on the 2 383 motors i have, like what they came out of and if one is # matching from a 1968 charger

You would have to know the V.I.N. of the Charger it came out of and if it was stamped on it it would be at the back of the block near the mating surface of the trans/engine at the top near the oil sending unit. Not all `68's were V.I.N. stamped and then the casting date comes into play.

You would have to know the V.I.N. of the Charger it came out of and if it was stamped on it it would be at the back of the block near the mating surface of the trans/engine at the top near the oil sending unit. Not all `68's were V.I.N. stamped and then the casting date comes into play.

yeah was wondering because the engine that was in the car had a casting date in 1966. the replacement motor i have has casting date in 1965. so im assuming that the 1966 casting date motor that was in the car is not the original engine. id just like to know what they came out of if possible

No VIN stamps prior to 68. It's common for a casting date to be the year prior to the car year but you should find out what your scheduled production date was to be sure and back up a couple of months or so. In my example I just got a 1/18/66 block for my HEMI Belvedere that has a prod date of 1/26/66. That's cutting it pretty close but close enough! Good HEMI blocks don't grow on trees anymore!

My 68 RR matching number car (SPD 4/68) has a 67 cast date block. Don't remember off hand but it's probably 6 months prior.

Auto Transport Service
Back