• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine colors

I worked at the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant, on the V8 crankshaft line, in 68/69 until uncle sam got me. Sure wish I had paid more attention back then haha

Good job, it looks great. I would not lose sleep over the color. If you are not going for a 100 point resto or trying to duplicate exactly how Ma Mopar would have done it. It's your ride, enjoy it. I'm just glad to see these cars saved from the crusher and back on the road and saving a piece of our automotive history for future generations.

My 60 383 D500 Ram Induction which I've known from new is red block & valve covers
& air cleanerS . The Ram manifold is silver. Makes me a litlle over the hill

Yeah I am with Eagleone there in assuming that the Orange wasn't until 69'. Thank you for this info. It will come in very handy when I get my own Charger.

I've owned 2 RR's a 68 turquoise engine it was only 3 yrs old @ the time. 69 RR w/ air & it had a turquoise engine. A/c cars had the 330 hp 383 vs magnum. I remember back in the day a 1 yr old 69 Bee 383 a/c turquoise engine

Police motors

How would I find out if the motor I have was originally a police motor?

Match it to a VIN on a cop car?

Seriously, 'police motor' is a common Ford term. Mopar did not make different engines for police cars. They were all the same.

im new to this forum. and i was just looking to get peoples opinions on what to do with my hemi. its a 3rd gen 5.7. im looking to get around 600hp. what would be the best way to go???

All I know is they painted the Max Wedge engines with a type of Hemi Orange. Ron

100_1559.jpg

I just restored my 66 Hemi Charger and there was a lot of conflicting information even about the Hemi Orange color. Come to find out there are three different Hemi Orange colors used from 1964 to 1971. There was the Hemi Race orange used from 64-65. then In 66 the used a Early Hemi orange which had more of a yellow tint and finally in the later years they used the current hemi orange you can get from Chrysler. Anyway, Totally Auto is a great resource and they will tell you the correct color for all engine applications and they seem to have the most information regarding engine colors and you can order the colors from them.

From my days on the car lot concerning 69s Super Bee & RR were 335hp & orange except w/a/c 330 hp then turpuoise. Other 383's were turquoise except 383 4spd in other models which were 335 hp & orange

It would be shelled out and in need of a rebuild:headbang:

I hate to ask this question here, but I can't find the paint thread that discussed what brands of Hemi orange are "correct." Maybe it was on the A12 Forum. But I'm putting another 440 in my 69 Bee, and plan on using VHT Hemi Orange SP120. Is this the correct orange for the 69 440; or is this the earlier years Hemi orange, think its called Street Hemi Orange which was a nasty color. For some reason a bunch of the Mopar guys in my area are using Chevy Orange (they prefer that color instead of Hemi Orange) and that just looks to bright, neon for me.

Ok I have read through this thread, but there seems to be conflicting information as to actual year / color combos. I think it says that a HP 440 would have been orange in 68. I am wondering if this is true because I have come across a 68 440 Super Commando out of a GTX, but it is orange. I am interested in this engine, as he says it is original, but the color has me wondering if it has been rebuilt or replaced with a later engine.

I can only speak to one year. I bought a 1967 GTX brand new. I had the high performance 440 and it was turquoise not orange as stated above.

Jack

Agreed!
My unrestored, all orig 67 GTX had the HP 440 in it, and that motor was turquoise (what was left if it)
Also the 67 HP 383 I have is all orig and its turquoise as well.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

But there is Race Hemi orange and Street Hemi orange. They are very different with the Street Hemi orange being darker.

I think it says that a HP 440 would have been orange in 68. I am wondering if this is true because I have come across a 68 440 Super Commando out of a GTX, but it is orange. I am interested in this engine, as he says it is original, but the color has me wondering if it has been rebuilt or replaced with a later engine.

It is not true. A 68 440 would have come turquoise. Orange was not used on 440's until 69.

The engine in question could be original; just repainted.

I have a 68 Roadrunner late production, it was built in August 68. It has a HI-Perf 383 that was and still is blue. The only other sunfire yellow 68 roadrunner I have seen that was factory original shares the color under the hood. It isn't turquoise, it's a light shade of blue.

Auto Transport Service
Back