• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine help

Blest4343

Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 400 and I'm wanting to build a 451 stroker. For my question what are a best set if heads to use for power but can still use pump gas..

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Exactly what is your goal? Best stock heads or aftermarket? You left the door wide open......

Yes best stock heads or if not much more aftermarket.. Trying to keep it reasonable

Yes best stock heads or if not much more aftermarket.. Trying to keep it reasonable

Depends on if you already have a set of heads to work with or if you're going to have to find a set, buy them, then have them redone. If you're going this route, you'll be more than 1/2 way to a set of aftermarket aluminum heads already

Since you're building a fancy stroker, if I were doing it, and I didn't already have a set of heads, I'd go stealths or eddy's, otherwise it'd be like taking an ugly chick, getting lipo, a set of jugs bolted on, massive plastic sugery, but not getting the mustache lasered off

Depending on what compression you want, and if you want factory heads, then 915 or 906 with proper valve job and pocket port.

I don't think there is a correct answer with so little info. pistons have to match the combustion chamber. alum isn't always better than iron and what about gas requirements? how much $$$$ to blow?

I've got a 400 and I'm wanting to build a 451 stroker. For my question what are a best set if heads to use for power but can still use pump gas..

It doesn't make any difference what head you choose. How much do you want to spend and how much power do you want to make on pump gas? I've made 449 HP with a 440, 516 heads and 7.8:1 compression. 554 HP to the rear wheels with our 451 and 906 iron heads, 9.7:1 compression and 91 octane. Then 787 HP at the flywheel with RPM heads 11.7:1 and 91 octane. What's your poison?

Reasonable? What's reasonable?

I'm looking at getting eddy rpm heads

They may or may not work for you depending upon the entire package.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there is a correct answer with so little info. pistons have to match the combustion chamber. alum isn't always better than iron and what about gas requirements? how much $$$$ to blow?

Very good answer, things I'd like to know also.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do you have a budget you're working with?

Amen, amen.

It doesn't make any difference what head you choose. How much do you want to spend and how much power do you want to make on pump gas? I've made 449 HP with a 440, 516 heads and 7.8:1 compression. 554 HP to the rear wheels with our 451 and 906 iron heads, 9.7:1 compression and 91 octane. Then 787 HP at the flywheel with RPM heads 11.7:1 and 91 octane. What's your poison?
As long as it's pump gas it doesn't matter to me

Reasonable? What's reasonable?

I'm looking at getting eddy rpm heads

They may or may not work for you depending upon the entire package.

- - - Updated - - -

Very good answer, things I'd like to know also.

- - - Updated - - -

Also do you have a budget you're working with?

Amen, amen.

As long as it's pump gas in fine with it.. Just want to be able to get gas anywhere

Your questions, and responses to the questions asked you, indicate a lack of knowledge on, or a concealment thereof, of the in's and out's on building a 451. Don't give up on building your 451, but search out a little more online information on the construction of a small stroker like the 400/451.

There is no such thing as the magic cylinder head.

Due to the lack of information on the engine design other than it is to be a 451 on pump gas. Your answer will be any cylinder head will work, iron or aluminum, if you design, choose and combine the other components properly. Such as cam and cam timing, compression (rods, pistons, rings, deck height, head gasket), spark plugs, ignition and ignition timing and octane rating (85, 87, 89, 91 or 93). I guess even E85 would be considered as pump gas in some areas.

You can build it many ways as was said. Mine is a 440/493 that I built to run on pump gas and get my 3700 lb 63 in the 10's. I also want to be able to get gas at any station. My comp is 10.6 with aluminum Indy EZ heads. I run a flat tappet solid cam thats a custom grind for my combo. I use a 440Source stroker kit and it has the Indy dual plane intake with a Holley 850 DP. I built my own eng and I would say I spent about 6k for all the parts. It met my goal with 10.70's thru the pipes on pump gas and driving to the track. Ron

409595043.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back