• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine help?

dam130af

Local time
4:56 PM
Reaction score
Prob dumb question but can anyone verify what size/type motors these are? Screenshot952015-09-09-15-18-32-1.jpgScreenshot952015-09-09-15-16-12-1.jpg

Top looks to be a 383 2 barrel.
Bottom is a big block.

With the late valve covers,passenger side bottom water pump outlet and center outlet exhaust I would expect that to be a 400.

Top looks like a 400. It will be casted into the side of block down by the oil pan. Bottum looks like a 440. It will be stamped into the flat pad on the left front just in front of the intake. Also a 440 is a RB like a 413,426, the 400 is a B like the 383. and those Don't have the flat pad.

All we had were these pictures and told they were a 440 and a 426

I stand corrected.

top photo could be a 440. looks like a quadrajet on it,...? motorhome? bottom could be 426.

After looking at the top motor,the carb is a Quadrajet,probably a 440 truck motor,those are truck manifolds.

Tuff to tell with all the exc/drive cuttering it up ? As for the bottum not close enough to tell ??
I see the truck mounts now on the top one.
You bying or just looking ?

We are buying for $500 for both. Just thought I would check with you guys about it.

If you are getting the intake and carbs tossed in, you stole them. The "key" to a B (low deck, 361/383/400) vs an RB "tall deck" or long stroke (413, 426, 440) is the tall deck has the horizontal engine ID pad, which is actually visible in the second photo. Low deck do not have it in that location

For a "quick id" most all have the CID right there, either partial or all, IE 426, 26, 42, sometimes the numbers are not "clear" stamped

I can't see it in the top photo, hence it may be a low deck

857473c4.jpg

Not a Bad deal if sold as shown. As long as thay are not blown up !?

The top one has truck engine stands it most likely came out of a truck. If they are as shown its a good deal.

Top picture, sure looks like a stamp pad to me between the ac cover and valve cover, partially covered by the plug wires. They both look like RB's to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back