• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine issue

dcw88

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Hiya all i got a 69 satellite with a 318 engine.
Yesterday driving home from a show the engine was cutting out under throttle.
Any ideas what it could be causing that issue. The fuel pump looks to be working.
I am not that great at this so any help will be great.
I did a full service on it only a few months and the fuel is only a few days old.

Don't overlook your coil. I had a situation like yours and thought it was vapor lock. It turned out to be a bad ignition coil.

Is it worth me installing a new coil and distrubtor

Edit: "I'd start with" distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser as applicable to start. Quick and least expensive initial approach, especially if you've already ruled out it being fuel related.

You need to do a bit more diagnosing before replacing parts. Might be as simple as a plug wire burnt on the exhaust and arcing to ground, carbon tracks in the distributor cap, etc. Do a visual inspection, what do you see? What type of ignition system?

What was the “full service” a month ago. Double check everything that was done then.

does this car have a tachometer on it? Disconnect it and see what happens.

Air fuel and oil as well as sparks and plugs

You say fuel pump seems to be working. Usually at low speed is ok, but under load at 50 mph and up weak pump can't deliver enough fuel to sustain speed. Don't completely rule out fuel pump yet.

I would suggest checking the accelerator pump. Take the air cleaner off and push back on the throttle linkage.
Look from above and it should give a solid spray of fuel immediately.

Also take off the fuel filter, install a new one and cut the existing one in half and look for debris (rust) usually.

Along with all the ignition stuff mentioned above.

Auto Transport Service
Back