• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Lift Plates?

ncrobb

Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve never used one of the engine lift plates that mounts to the top of the intake where the carb sits. I’ve always done a chain across the heads but that carb plate sure looks like it would be easier to position the engine coming out or back in. Are they really safe to use with an aluminum intake? I’m guessing engine only?

I know a lot of people use them
but I dont trust them
Thats a lot of weight relying on carb studs
years ago I bought one of the slings that lets me crank the engine angle
so I use 4 of the intake bolts to the heads

I once saw a calculation for the shear strength of the bolts/studs. It was somewhere in the tens of thousands of pounds. I would be more concerned with the weld quality.
I use a home made one, with three hook positions, for use with or without trans.

20211219_141244.jpg
I used this one to pull an all iron 454 (including intake) with turbo 400 attached. Probably 1000 lbs, from my one ton dually.

Last edited:
Probably why you see so many aluminum intakes with thread inserts in them.

I've been using one for many years, and as was said by others with trans also attached. Never any problems. ruffcut

Just one of those from Jegs or Summit?? Big block?

I always use one but I don't rely on the studs I use grade 8 bolts instead

I used the eye bracket that bolts to the front and rear of the engine block. I had read somewhere not to use the plate bolted to the intake manifold so I bought two brackets and used those with my levelor bar.

frone engine lift bracket.jpg engine on stand with lift brackets.jpg engine lift brackets.jpg

I have both a 4150 and a 4500 lifting plates. I just don't trust them on aluminum intakes. Usually, they don't work for me anyway since I am a multicarb freak. Most of my cars are cross rams, sixpacks, or dual four Hemi's. I know tough problems to have... lol. Most of the time I use one of these engine slings.

41Kfk3KPXnL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Another vote for engine leveling sling.

makes it so much easier to lift/drop motor and tranny in, almost a one man job. After using it, realized I should have got one sooner.

I have both a 4150 and a 4500 lifting plates. I just don't trust them on aluminum intakes. Usually, they don't work for me anyway since I am a multicarb freak. Most of my cars are cross rams, sixpacks, or dual four Hemi's. I know tough problems to have... lol. Most of the time I use one of these engine slings.

View attachment 1226680
Can u post the part number of this engine sling? And where can I buy it? Thanks. Kim

Another vote for engine leveling sling.

makes it so much easier to lift/drop motor and tranny in, almost a one man job. After using it, realized I should have got one sooner.
Jacking up the rear end of the car as far as your jack allows, makes it alot easier too if your doing engine/Trans

Auto Transport Service
Back