• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Oil Preferences

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
I would like to read which viscosities and brands of engine oils you people are using. I am in Tennessee and I currently use Valvoline VR1 50 in my mostly street driven 500+hp 440 with hydraulic cam. I chose it for it's availability and it's high zinc content. It is never driven in the winter months.

Castor oil 20w50 in my cuda 273 stock orignal unrebuilt,shell rotella in my diesel.

This has been discussed a lot on this forum, but you are on the right track using the Valvoline VR-1 in any engine that has a flat tappet cam. I use the 20-50 myself because it's usually a little cooler in this area. I would also recommend Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, or Comp Cams oil. There are probably several other specialty oils that would be good.

AmsOil in everything I own. 10-40 in the 440 . 0-20 in the 06 Charger, 0-30 in the 09 Challenger.

Shell Rotella 15-40 in everything I own. Including my 90 Civic commuter car that gets 39 mpg all the time.

Before choosing Valvoline VR 1 4 or 5 years ago I researched the diesel engine oils and found they were fine at the time with their zinc content. I also learned that the federal government was mandating that all diesel engine equipped vehicles were going to be required to have catalytic converters and zinc was known to stop converters up or damage them in some way and diesel oil manufactorers would be reducing the zinc content to compensate. Have any of you read this?

Before choosing Valvoline VR 1 4 or 5 years ago I researched the diesel engine oils and found they were fine at the time with their zinc content. I also learned that the federal government was mandating that all diesel engine equipped vehicles were going to be required to have catalytic converters and zinc was known to stop converters up or damage them in some way and diesel oil manufactorers would be reducing the zinc content to compensate. Have any of you read this?
diesels dont use cats thay use a reburn system

It is written that any diesel built after Jan 1 2007 is required to have a 2 way catalytic converter and a diesel particulate filter. I'm not saying what I'm reading is totally accurate but it is easily found.

i get it from a dealer in mississsippi pm me and ill hook u up and i do know who u are!! lol

Auto Transport Service
Back