1. Mopartank

Mopartank Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:46 PM
    Hi guys, is any one prime his/her engine while distributor shaft installed? My distributor shaft already installed should I pull it out, prime it or muck up an old screw driver and prime it with distributor shaft. Thanks

2. MoparMitch

MoparMitch FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    You can't prime it from the shaft as it is engaged with the Camshaft. Pull the dist shaft out and get a length of 5/16 hex rod, insert into oil pump and set priming drill to REVERSE. Leave valve covers off so you can see rocker shafts. Have someone turn the engine over by hand SLOWLY while priming with drill. Use an oil pressure gauge if you have one. While turning engine over by hand and priming, you should see a slight drop in pressure. Stop hand turning engine at this point , as one of the rocker shaft oil holes is lined up. While not turning engine by hand, continue to prime untill you see oiling at rockers on one side or the other. Continue turning engine over until pressure drops again for other side rocker shaft. Stop turning here also and prime until you get oil on second shaft. Do this all just before start up.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. Mopartank

Mopartank Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thanks

4. MoparMitch

MoparMitch FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I added more info. Be sure to do this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.