• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine replacement ideas for the 2007 Ram 1500

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
This truck is getting long in the tooth:

Ram A 1 (2).jpg
Ram A 5 (2).jpg

360,000 miles on the 5.7 and still running quite well. I do know that eventually, this engine will wear out. I still have the original water pump, alternator...heck everything except the EGR valve and spark plugs. The original serpentine belt is still in place.
It sometimes smokes, uses some oil but runs smooth and does not knock or rattle. Power may be down a bit from when it was new though.
I love this truck. I am not interested in buying new. If I knew of a well preserved 10,000 mile "Found in a barn" 2007 Ram identical to this one, I'd buy it but that is highly unlikely to exist.
As is the case when it comes time to replace an engine in a classic, I want to take this opportunity to increase the power in whatever engine I put back in. I've looked at stroker assemblies that can push the cubes from 345 to 394. THose ain't cheap....$3000 is about the norm. Then I'd still need machine work, a cam-lifters and timing set. I'd be into the engine $5000 or thereabouts. Okay, maybe that isn't so bad.
I've thought of getting a low mile 6.1 SRT long block and putting the 5.7 intake and throttle body stuff on. The 6.1 was rated at 425 HP. I'm only guessing but with the truck intake, I'd probably be down to about 400 HP. That is still a big jump up from my 345 HP stock rating.
A simpler route would be a rebuilt 5.7 with a little more camshaft. I need to pass CA emission testing and can't have it throwing MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) codes.
A stock based 5.7 with smog legal headers and a switch to 3.92 or 4.10 gears (I currently have 3.55s) would wake up a stock engine and the overdrive negates some of the deep gearing when at freeway speeds.
The truck used to peel out from a dead stop on dry pavement. It does not do that at all anymore. I am not looking for a hot rod but it would be great to get the jump on the minivan in the next lane!

There are limits but in some cases, IF they can't see it and IF it displays no codes, it will pass the test.

You're asking for opinions. Probably not a popular one on this forum. Do you already have a hotrod? If so, get a bone stock 5.7 Hemi, buy it now and put it away. Drive what you have, since at 360k miles I'm betting it's your daily, until the engine dies. If it's that dependable, keep it that way. 5k or even 15k is cheaper than 60-70k for new nowadays. My .02

gonna do the same with my rust free Durango at some point.....only it's a 4.7

I wonder if the latter-day 6.4 Apache "truck" engine would mount up easily?
The one they use in the HD trucks in lieu of the Cummins?

To keep the emissions in check and the computer happy, I need to keep the MDS. The 6.4 uses Variable Valve Timing so I think that might not work.

I agree with diesel get a bone stock replacement copycat engine. There is a reason it got you this far the first time around. The perfect application for the job required. I would replace in kind but thats me.

Bring it to me and I’ll take care of it!!

This truck is getting long in the tooth:

View attachment 1113158 View attachment 1113159

360,000 miles on the 5.7 and still running quite well. I do know that eventually, this engine will wear out. I still have the original water pump, alternator...heck everything except the EGR valve and spark plugs. The original serpentine belt is still in place.
It sometimes smokes, uses some oil but runs smooth and does not knock or rattle. Power may be down a bit from when it was new though.
I love this truck. I am not interested in buying new. If I knew of a well preserved 10,000 mile "Found in a barn" 2007 Ram identical to this one, I'd buy it but that is highly unlikely to exist.
As is the case when it comes time to replace an engine in a classic, I want to take this opportunity to increase the power in whatever engine I put back in. I've looked at stroker assemblies that can push the cubes from 345 to 394. THose ain't cheap....$3000 is about the norm. Then I'd still need machine work, a cam-lifters and timing set. I'd be into the engine $5000 or thereabouts. Okay, maybe that isn't so bad.
I've thought of getting a low mile 6.1 SRT long block and putting the 5.7 intake and throttle body stuff on. The 6.1 was rated at 425 HP. I'm only guessing but with the truck intake, I'd probably be down to about 400 HP. That is still a big jump up from my 345 HP stock rating.
A simpler route would be a rebuilt 5.7 with a little more camshaft. I need to pass CA emission testing and can't have it throwing MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) codes.
A stock based 5.7 with smog legal headers and a switch to 3.92 or 4.10 gears (I currently have 3.55s) would wake up a stock engine and the overdrive negates some of the deep gearing when at freeway speeds.
The truck used to peel out from a dead stop on dry pavement. It does not do that at all anymore. I am not looking for a hot rod but it would be great to get the jump on the minivan in the next lane!
Nice truck....but, I COULD be biased...lol Mine only has 134,000 on it though...Hell, i would say get another 5.7 and sling it in there. Why change what works and make more headache for yourself?
20210520_101917.jpg

To keep the emissions in check and the computer happy, I need to keep the MDS. The 6.4 uses Variable Valve Timing so I think that might not work.
The newer (one they still use, in fact) rascal, if used with its' own computer, would almost HAVE to be cleaner
would it not?

Or get a 2500 with a Cummins as I did.
Pulls the Wife's horses around
Pulls my antique tractors around
Pulls my old Chrysler products ill I restore them
Gets 16 to 18mpg
What not to like

When you move drive to Tennessee and you can do more to it there.
aint-dat-da-troof.jpg
Yup, pretty much whatever you wanna do...just stay out of the (3) deadly major
metro areas (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga).
Out here in the real world, there's no emissions or other inspections on vehicles.
No, it's not one big demolition derby here either, despite what some may think.

Another vote for the venerable hemi Ram from here by the way:
DSCF0649.JPG
2004 Ram SLT hemi 4x4, standard cab/short bed. Quite the stump-jumper.
LOVE the damn thing - "Bert" is my last truck for life, essential if you're going to live
out here in the country. 175k miles, nary an issue to speak of (other than the plastic
radiator giving up the seal, probably due to the gravel roads).

Or get a 2500 with a Cummins as I did.
Pulls the Wife's horses around
Pulls my antique tractors around
Pulls my old Chrysler products ill I restore them
Gets 16 to 18mpg
What not to like
They don't handle like mine!

Auto Transport Service
Back