• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing with a Ram 1500 regular cab short bed

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Some say that a longer wheelbase is better for stability when towing. I can understand that.
My truck is a 2007 Ram 1500.

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

It is still in great shape for having almost 400,000 miles.
Original 5.7, original 545 but the axle gears were changed from 3.55 to 3.92 a couple years ago.
Last year I bought a 1900 lb trailer and since then, I've towed one 3600lb car three times, a 3400 lb car, a 5000 lb SUV and a 3200 lb late model car.
In every instance, it feels fine. Stable, sure and confident. The engine is good enough on flat ground and the trailer has brakes to assist for stopping the additional weight. In the past, I've rented trailers and towed combined loads of over 4500 lbs I've rented tow dollies and dragged cars home, again...on flat ground.
Today I went to help a friend buy a '78 Dodge truck that had no engine but on the way there, I found that the road in had a sort of steep decline which meant that the way out would be going uphill. It was paved but I'd guess that once it gets cold, that road would possibly ice over and be absolutely treacherous.
Yeah....towing 5300-5500 lbs uphill for over two miles on a curvy, mountain road in a good condition truck that (nevertheless) has 400,000 miles on it.
I backed out of loading and towing it and made plans to use the friends truck, a 2500 series with less than half the miles.
Be honest with me......do you think I was right in backing out? The friend was disappointed but didn't complain. He seemed to understand. He is in NO position to pay to have my transmission rebuilt, towing fees and all of that if the truck conked out.

If you leave it in Tow/Haul mode and stay out 4-5th gear, I don’t see where you could’ve had a problem. It’s like wearing a life vest, do really need to or wear it to be on the safe side.

Being that low to the ground, air bags would really help out. I think you did the right thing by not using your truck.

IMO wise choice.... It probably would have been fine, but if something went wrong.....

I towed my 20-foot enclosed trailer all over the west and Canada with my 2012 Ram R/T. RCSB, Hemi, 4.10 gear, factory 22's. Air Lift bags in the springs with an Equal-i-zer hitch. Depending on which hot rod was in the trailer, weight was about 6000 to 8000 pounds. Usually left it in the Tow/Haul mode. Towed great, never swayed, stopped good and didn't slow down for hills. My trailer is 10K rated so it has the bigger brakes which helps with braking.

Towing+Ice(400k miles/545RFE)X uphill= Why chance it.
The 545RFE’s Tow/Haul mode will lock out 5th gear.
Double clicking that button will enable OD Off, limiting it to a 3 speed.

I have towed big campers all over upper east coast (New York - Indiana north to eastern Cunuckistan) With a Ford Superduty built for hauling such monsters. I went into a few speed wobbles from time to time. Not fun. I'm with Wild on this one. More than likely would have been just fine, but if you don't feel comfortable... Don't. Simple as that, I have seen some near misses amd some bullseyes along the street. Not happy campers. lol

3/4 ton every single time, In this instance, size matters.
Lots of people tow with 1/2 tons and have no issues. Heck, I ordered a 2022 1500 for my wife to haul her own horse trailer. I wouldn't put her in a situation that I wouldn't put myself in. I've probably towed a couple hundred thousand miles between work and personal use. lots of different types of trailers, Rvs, equipment, etc. Nothing will put you in a 3/4 or 1 ton faster than a trailer swaying violently at 60 mph. Trust me on this, a trailer loaded incorrectly will cause problems.
My personal tow vehicle is a 2011 Ram 2500 Cummins, factory 4:10 gear. Overkill? Absolutely, if I can hook to it, I can pull it, and not be afraid to stop it.

3rd Gen Rams came equipped with a few different Transmission Coolers.
Pictured are small, medium and large factory coolers.
8F1C1CF4-0FDA-4B11-A7FF-CB535962E483.jpeg
A2032618-158E-4B97-8BD0-31CE70D7EAF2.jpeg
9754F313-1ADF-4BE9-94A5-F5EACAC6725F.jpeg

If you're not going to buy a new truck and it has 400,000 miles on it, why take a chance of you, not him having to walk after this favor. I have owned many new Dodge trucks and you have obviously been good to yours, why roll the dice now. If he doesn't get it, he's not a very good friend. This is not about whether it can or can't make the pull, it's about you pushing your luck and paying a bigger price. It would be cheaper for you to rent a truck for him, than you possibly having to replace your trans or engine. 400,000 miles is a ton of miles on a gas truck and a good amount on a diesel. One way or the other, I've been down this road and being the people that we are, others begin to expect things from us that others might not even be asked. You did nothing wrong, he did......

I have a buddy that has the exact same 3rd gen Ram with only a 4.7L. He tows all kinds of cars all over on an open trailer with his. Never has had any issues.
I personally have always had at least 3/4 ton trucks. All trucks will do the job. However, it is stopping the load that is more the issue than pulling it.

Yeah good idea. IMO with short WB 1/2 ton trucks is you never want to have something behind that weighs more and is longer than you. If you go on a highway especially with-out stabilizer bars. Swaying becomes an issue... I pass many people that have the *** end squatted to the ground and the front ends up in the air w/steering light as a feather.

This truck handles the weight fine on level ground. My concern was with driving for 2+ miles at 20-25 mph in what could be 1st or second gear. I wasn't sure if this would put too much strain on the transmission. The truck was built with the towing group including HD hitch, oil and transmission coolers.
I may have been playing it too safe but this place is well off the beaten path where cell phone service isn't steady and breaking down on a hill would be a major problem.

My last trip hauling this boat was with my 2000, 360, 4x4, Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. That's a 97 Ram in the picture and I replaced it with a 98 ram. It pulled it fine and as I pulled into town for my last red light before getting it to my dock where it spent the rest of its life on a hoist in the water, it pushed me through the light even though the trailer had breaks. I was crazy for doing it. It was a 155 mile pull, never again. An ant carrying a cup cake.
3002_1471122769312.jpg

This truck handles the weight fine on level ground. My concern was with driving for 2+ miles at 20-25 mph in what could be 1st or second gear. I wasn't sure if this would put too much strain on the transmission. The truck was built with the towing group including HD hitch, oil and transmission coolers.
I may have been playing it too safe but this place is well off the beaten path where cell phone service isn't steady and breaking down on a hill would be a major problem.
No worries, you did the right thing.
I actually towed my racecar with a cj Ranchero. Plenty of power, the chassis wasn't up to the job. Bought a dually, anxiety gone.
Now I tow with either a 3/4 ton 7500 lb diesel pickup.... or a 15,000 lb diesel box truck.

An occasional pull with a half ton wouldn't bother me - wife's new 1500 is an example. It is as heavy duty as I could order, Hemi, 3:92 gear, and HD tow package crew cab. She pulls a 7k gooseneck horse trailer a couple hundred miles at a time. I do not want to be the roadside service, and I trust that truck. It has performed flawlessly. I will never trust the electric brakes on someone else's trailer, especially when they sit for extended periods. Once they overheat you're done.
You made a good choice Kern.

I'm not sure I understand. The guy buying the pickup had a truck of his own, bigger than yours, less mileage than yours, but he asked YOU to tow it out? Why? Just cause it was your trailer and his wasn't wired to it? ( that's all I could think of).

I was being generous and trying to also make sure the trailer wasn’t abused. My truck gets almost double the mileage too.
We did go get the truck today….

191F4643-2C60-45B8-9D42-7452E81F122F.jpeg

I don’t know if I have become a bad co pilot but his driving was really annoying. He drove too fast when unloaded and even a few times on the way back. He commented on how he smelled his brake pads.
Well, idiot….45 in a 40 zone while towing a trailer through curves downhill and was there another outcome that you expected??

The truck is going to be here for hopefully less than a month. I have a feeling though…

4421720E-994F-4CD5-9B25-40DF75062FC5.png

1B3716B8-8096-464F-A0E8-6FF08D7D420B.jpeg

Then…..

4421720E-994F-4CD5-9B25-40DF75062FC5.png

B9952493-0969-4D12-A6B2-898266D8B7B9.jpeg

I do need to light a little fire here though. I have two other car projects here belonging to other people.
This whole habit of helping others with their stuff here is getting beyond what I intended.

Last edited:
People say ...oh, that guy is retired...he has all the time in the world:p

Auto Transport Service
Back