• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine replacement ideas for the 2007 Ram 1500

The Bottom end has been rebuilt. It looks like they went .015 over with Mahle pistons.

View attachment 1459738View attachment 1459739

Cylinder #7 has some damage.

View attachment 1459740

View attachment 1459741

I’m curious about this. I wonder if this engine had a valve seat go on cylinder 7…Maybe these heads aren’t original either.
There is no ridge on any cylinder. The pick marks on #7 piston shouldn’t pose a problem. That cylinder had both spark plugs recessed/not screwed in all the way. Could this be detonation due to improper combustion? All the other pistons and cylinders look great.
I've never heard of it on a hemi, but maybe they had a spark plug issue like the ford's and some **** fell in there with a bad spark plug retrieval

No, the Gen 3’s don’t suffer from that Ferd issue.

Of course everything is metric.
It was burning some oil.

View attachment 1459710

View attachment 1459711

Everything is coming apart easily so far.
There are a few broken exhaust manifold studs as expected.

View attachment 1459713View attachment 1459714

I’ve heard that the heads have to be off to get to the lifters. I see why now.

View attachment 1459715

View attachment 1459717

Lots of carbon on the pistons for a “83,000” mile engine.

View attachment 1459716

View attachment 1459709
Late model stuff can have issues with poor crankcase ventilation control which leads to oil contamination. Good idea to incorporate a catch can into the system. This company makes an excellent one. There are others of course too.
thecatchcanguys.com

I loaded the short block and the heads back into the truck. Tomorrow I'm going to see my machinist.
It is a given that the heads need attention. I'll let him determine if the short block can be run as is.
All the lifters looked great and I kept them in order but I'm going to replace them. I'll need to replace one of the MDS solenoids since I damaged it trying to remove it.
I have not pulled the cam. If the lifters look good, the cam must be fine too, right?
Lots of variables here. Maybe I'll pull the front cover to regasket it. If I do that, I could replace the timing chain and pull the cam to inspect it.
Or.....
If Rick thinks it all looks good, I could just let sleeping dogs lie. Refresh the heads, new gaskets-oil-anti-freeze-spark plugs and maybe even do a transmission service.

The pock marks in the piston are almost certainly from detonation....

When I was dealing with detonation issues with my 440/493 some 10 years or so ago, I was told that detonation resulted in marks on the piston that looked as if the pistons were jabbed with an ice pick.

37cfe585-fceb-47ce-af1f-307e292f21f3-jpeg.jpg

Det 1.jpg
Det 2.jpg

With the big block, even though I heard what I thought was detonation, there was no evidence of it in the combustion chambers or on the tops of the pistons. With this engine, the # 7 combustion chamber was carboned up but seemed to look okay:

Hemi 77.JPG

The spark plugs look recessed but that is just because they aren't screwed in all the way. It was like this when I got it. The chamber cleaned up okay but does have some small marks in it.

Hemi 85 (2).JPG

One thing... Those pistons appear to be dished? Maybe Eagle heads are in your future....

They are not dished...The pictures in post #107 were pulled from the internet.

These pistons have a slight dome.

Hemi 72.JPG
Hemi 89.JPG

Hemi 100.JPG

I brought the heads and the short block to the machinist. He says that unless they are abused, most late model engines run a long time. He liked how the cylinders walls looked but plans to take a micrometer to them to see if the engine has been bored over. That weird 21_015 number has to mean something.
He thought the heads looked fine at first glance but will disassemble and check the valve guides and report back.
He works part time a few days a week. The 440 block I had there last Summer took awhile and that was just a bore/hone/deck/clean/cam bearings. That took 2 months.

I've has a slightly rough cold start and the truck has been sending codes for random misfire, cyl 5 and also cyl 6 misfire but only when the engine is cold.
After it has been warmed up, the engine runs fine and posts no codes.
I suspect that the injectors may be dirty and not flowing enough during cold start where they are expected to flow more. Maybe the lifters are not pumped up enough at cold start to fully open the valves? Not likely....there is no clattering and the oil pressure gauge reads normally.
Regardless....
I took the injectors from this used 5.7 to be cleaned.
YouTube has a bunch of videos about the 5.7 engine. I've seen numerous videos about rebuilds, upgrades and the differences between the 2003-2008 and the 2009 and later engines. I wish that I knew that I could just swap an entire 2009+ engine and not have PCM issues, wiring differences and all the frustration that comes with that. The later engines are rated at 50 HP more as well as having 40 lb/ft more torque. I don't know how much that would be felt in a 5000 lb truck though.

It would be pretty much plug n play. There might be a sensor or 2 that would need to be swapped, the ecm would run the later engine just fine….but it would leave some hp and torque on the table.

The 2011(maybe 2009?) and up 5.7 has VVT. I have that in my '13 AWD Charger.
Yes, it makes a hell of a difference when the VVT starts at about 3 grand. My brother in law had a 2007 AWD 300 with the 5.7. He had remarks the first time he rode in my car ten years ago.
For reference, the AWD Charger/300 weighs a cool 4400lbs.
However, I suspect NONE of the wiring and ECM stuff is compatible between the pre-VVT and VVT engines.
The newer trucks with the VVT engine also get the 8 speed auto. This allowed them to put a lower final drive in. They also scoot pretty well. Not as quick as a Charger/Challenger but that is a minor weight but mostly aero thing more then power. From a stop sign I would be pressed in my 5 speed Charger against the newer Ram truck until we got up to highway speed and the aero gave me a big advantage. My car doesn't get "noisy"(that wind noise, you know the one) until about 120.

I don;t live in CA(and you couldnt make me) so I don;t know all the laws, but in WI if you want more power in the same truck you either spend $$$, buy a newer one with the 8 speed/VVT (or 6.4) OR you go backwards and put a 360 magnum built crate motor in and not worry about the computer and get 450HP. Most 3rd gen rams in WI have been eaten alive by salt though and no one bothers because the second gen is more popular here.

It would be pretty much plug n play. There might be a sensor or 2 that would need to be swapped, the ecm would run the later engine just fine….but it would leave some hp and torque on the table.
That surprises me.
VVT must have it's own wiring. The active intakes need their own wiring. How would the 2007 PCM know how to run a system that it wasn't designed or programmed to run?

It couldn’t run all that cause of the wiring harness isn’t there. I really should be more clear…….if you took a later engine, swapped your intake on so your emissions compliant, it would work. You can lock out the VVT.

Not so much useful to Greg in his particular journey, but I have some perspective between the first of the Gen3
5.7's and the MDS ones to come.
I bought the 2004 Ram SLT 4x4 new (345hp supposedly) and it has 3.91's in it, but the 20's do dampen the fun
a bit. Still, off the line that rascal still stands up even at almost 200k miles on it. Zero issues to report; the engine
has been a rock and still runs like new (always Mobil1 oil, which might explain it).

We owned a '06 Charger R/T from new also and it was fine for the time we had it (80k miles); it left when a
strut bushing went to hell and the right front wheel went to wobblin'....traded in for the '12.
It ran fine with no issues, but I think the Ram could take it from a dig.

The '12 Charger R/T was also bought new and just turned 100k very recently. Also ZERO issues to report; also
all synthetic oil from day one. Our first exposure to the MDS system, which continues to worry me to this day
while it (knock wood) continues to work flawlessly.
This one has always been seriously quick for a lard-assed stocker, too. Instant throttle response reminds me
of a sharply tuned Holley in that regard. It can take the '04 from a dig (yes, that "race" happened.... :) ).
I guess you'd say it's what they used to call a "ringer" from the factory....
Damn car gave almost 30mpg on our last long trip too. Unreal.

Summary? Rock-solid engines, those 5.7's - but I'm scared to death of the day one of 'em has electronic issues
or that MDS stuff loses its' mind on the Charger, too.

You're asking for opinions. Probably not a popular one on this forum. Do you already have a hotrod? If so, get a bone stock 5.7 Hemi, buy it now and put it away. Drive what you have, since at 360k miles I'm betting it's your daily, until the engine dies. If it's that dependable, keep it that way. 5k or even 15k is cheaper than 60-70k for new nowadays. My .02
Agree, sounds like a reliable truck. Start gathering up mods for the replacement motor such as headers and a free flow exhaust. Good idea to purchase a 5.7 long block and put it away until you need it.

Not so much useful to Greg in his particular journey, but I have some perspective between the first of the Gen3
5.7's and the MDS ones to come.
I bought the 2004 Ram SLT 4x4 new (345hp supposedly) and it has 3.91's in it, but the 20's do dampen the fun
a bit. Still, off the line that rascal still stands up even at almost 200k miles on it. Zero issues to report; the engine
has been a rock and still runs like new (always Mobil1 oil, which might explain it).

We owned a '06 Charger R/T from new also and it was fine for the time we had it (80k miles); it left when a
strut bushing went to hell and the right front wheel went to wobblin'....traded in for the '12.
It ran fine with no issues, but I think the Ram could take it from a dig.

The '12 Charger R/T was also bought new and just turned 100k very recently. Also ZERO issues to report; also
all synthetic oil from day one. Our first exposure to the MDS system, which continues to worry me to this day
while it (knock wood) continues to work flawlessly.
This one has always been seriously quick for a lard-assed stocker, too. Instant throttle response reminds me
of a sharply tuned Holley in that regard. It can take the '04 from a dig (yes, that "race" happened.... :) ).
I guess you'd say it's what they used to call a "ringer" from the factory....
Damn car gave almost 30mpg on our last long trip too. Unreal.

Summary? Rock-solid engines, those 5.7's - but I'm scared to death of the day one of 'em has electronic issues
or that MDS stuff loses its' mind on the Charger, too.
My '13 is AWD. Talk about going from a dig :)
NEVER move away from Mobil 1. I did that for one oil change, could tell immediately(yes it was that noticeable) and then dumped and changed back to Mobil after 1200 miles on the house brand stuff. Back to happy quiet engine.

My '13 is AWD. Talk about going from a dig :)
NEVER move away from Mobil 1. I did that for one oil change, could tell immediately(yes it was that noticeable) and then dumped and changed back to Mobil after 1200 miles on the house brand stuff. Back to happy quiet engine.
I've made it almost 400,000 miles on conventional oil.

It couldn’t run all that cause of the wiring harness isn’t there. I really should be more clear…….if you took a later engine, swapped your intake on so your emissions compliant, it would work. You can lock out the VVT.

With the 50 HP and 35 ft/lb difference between the 07 and the Eagle engine, how much of that is the cylinder heads? How much is the increase in compression, active intake and Variable Valve Timing?
By not utilizing the VVT and the active intake, I wonder what one would be left with.

For this truck, a stock replacement will be good enough for me. I already bought the replacement engine.
When I pull this engine, it can be rebuilt using some upgrades.

Auto Transport Service
Back