• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine seized ?

There cant be too many possibilities left. Flex plate off? Too long a bolt will lock it. Has this engine ever ran? I'm assuming no. Cam hitting a rod? Its possible the assembler was confused with a multi key timing gear and has the cam way off. If so with a big enough cam a lobe may contact a rod. Deck height causing one piston to hit the head? unlikely. Oil pick up bent hitting the crank? Galley plug behind the cam gear hitting the gear?
Doug
I just stopped in at Kammer & kammer/ kammer racing. Theyre a local mopar parts supply& engine builder. I described all the symptoms. They suggested one of the things you just did- the oil pick up.

Wow, I should have caught the possibility of the oil pickup before too! I put a 511 stroker together a few years back, and it lost oil pressure all of a sudden. It also had a funny little "ting" in it you could hear. Stroker crank counterweight rubbed a hole in the pickup tube. Bye-bye oil pressure.

FOUND IT !
#5 piston hitting the crank.

20200330_180821.jpg

Wow. This was freshly rebuilt?? How could someone build an engine and not turn it through a complete revolution when doing so???

Short of playing around with a mismatched stoker combo, btdt, that kind of thing SHOULD NOT happen. I would want to know exactly how long #5 connecting rod is! I'm guessing it's way short, or the piston pin isn't in the right place in the piston!
Edit: i would check the deck height of every piston in that engine, BEFORE i started tearing it down.

Last edited:
I'd pull 5 piston and turn motor over by hand, see if there is another piston hitting just in case.

First...go back to the guy that assembled the motor, hang him up by his eyelashes, and beat his balls till he blinks.
Second....I mighta missed it, but is it a stock crank? New pistons, rods? Good thing you tried turning it over by hand, mighta saved yourself a PILE of money.

First...go back to the guy that assembled the motor, hang him up by his eyelashes, and beat his balls till he blinks.
Second....I mighta missed it, but is it a stock crank? New pistons, rods? Good thing you tried turning it over by hand, mighta saved yourself a PILE of money.
Hmmm, i guess i had it backwards. What i had in mind was fo hang him by his balls. Supposedly, the engine had approx 200 miles on it since rebuild. And the pistons, and rods were new, with the crank being original. I recently used a borescope to look in the cylinders. I could see most of the piston tops looked new & spotless. A few had just a little carbon on them. What seems odd to me is, the crank lobe, and the bottom edge of the piston, where they come in contact, didn't seem too boogered up. I only saw one faint scratch on the crank. If it had ran, i'd think there would be more damage. I don't see how it did run. But, how would there be carbon on the piston tops ?

Unfortunately the whole thing needs to be checked.
As I suggested earlier, the engine needs to be removed.
This didn't happen from sitting in the corner.
Sorry man.:(
I hope you can get it fixed.

Unfortunately the whole thing needs to be checked.
As I suggested earlier, the engine needs to be removed.
This didn't happen from sitting in the corner.
Sorry man.:(
I hope you can get it fixed.
I've got a completely intact 68 383, sittin in the garage. I think i'll start from scratch with it. Its the correct year for the car anyway. The rebuilt p o s is a 64 block.

I've got a completely intact 68 383, sittin in the garage. I think i'll start from scratch with it. Its the correct year for the car anyway. The rebuilt p o s is a 64 block.
......the right path is before thee! Blessed is the 68 block, and all the trimmings! (amen, god loves a mopar)

This is the difference between an assemble and a builder. A few years ago I was given a prototype Siamese bore R block. Decided to pull my rotator out of my blower motor. It had a stock 72 340 block and crank, aftermarket rods and pistons. Upon trial assembly the crank counter weights hit the main webbing, stock crank. Then later it was discovered the top 2 holes for the timing cover were drilled for the 9.20 deck height. My bet with a little clearancing of the pistons this may be a salvageable motor. Why didn't hit on start up? Maybe it was very close and there was some metal transfer? interesting for sure.
Doug

Pull the heads try to rotate the engine again. Perhaps they installed an incorrect piston that is touching the head.

Auto Transport Service
Back