• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine stalls when shifted into gear

dmc8163

Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1977 Plymouth Volare 2dr with a Holley 4bbl 360. The car has been very reliable over the years. But yesterday it was running great until it started dying when I started it and shift into gear. It is idling very rough. If I increase the throttle to about 2.500 - 3,000 rpm it will shift into gear and I can drive using the brake to control it. I disconnected the electric choke but that did not help. I can not find any vacuum lines that are disconnected. I have no idea what is wrong. I hope you do. Thank you, Dave

What kind of holley. It may want new needle and seats.

Has it backfired lately? Holley's will blow power valves out if they backfire. THey will run like crap. If you don't know a lot about cars find a friend that does. May be you could exchange carbs with a known good one. Revving it to 3ooo and dumping it in gear is not advised.

Don't know about the vacuum. Not sure I even have a gauge. Where would be the best place to hook one up. Thanks, Dave
You disagreed with my question ? Connect to any available manifold vacuum port. Could be the carb. Could be something else. That's why you troubleshoot.

You disagreed with my question ? Connect to any available manifold vacuum port. Could be the carb. Could be something else. That's why you troubleshoot.
Troubleshoot and diagnose. Something that isn't done with folks that don't know.

Auto Transport Service
Back