• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine stumbling and shutting off

Wile E Coyotee

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Need help! Driving my recently restored 72 Roadrunner to a car show this morning. The engine starts to idle rough, like it's starving for gas and shuts off. I restart the car and it seems to idle normally but when I left out the clutch to move ahead the car sputters and shuts off. I'm able to restart the car each time but when I let the clutch out the car just sputters and dies. I was less then a mile into my drive when it started to act up and the temparture outside was only 55 degrees. So I don't think it was vapor lock in the fuel system. A couple days earlier I took the car around the block and it ran fine. Any thoughts about what the problem may be?????

I'd check the choke as mentioned and if nothing there check your fuel pressure.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I didn't thinking about the choke issue and will look at that first. I have another fuel pump I can switch out and see if that's helps also. Just an FYI - I just found out that my car in question has recently been published in Mopar Muscle magazine (top of page 60 in the Dec issue)! Thanks again for your help!!!

Plugged fuel filter?

That's what I was thinking. I had crud in my tank and it was very fine. Besides clogging my dual fuel filters (one before and one after the fuel pump), the crap made its way into my carb too.

I think replacing your fuel filter is a good idea. Yeah, it might cost you a whole $2, but that is well spent to either identify the problem OR know for sure that it isn't a problem...

my $0.02

Auto Transport Service
Back