• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Savoy 489 Hemi Cross Ram 4 Speed bucks and lunges wildly

jobenz

Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
This is my first hemi car, so I do not know a lot about them. I have a big problem with the car lunging bucking wildly when I let out the clutch. Thought it was a fuel problem at first, so I bought 2 restored 3116 carbs which helped my other engine problem. Could it be a clutch problem??? I have a nice rear main seal leak that I thought could be going into the clutch but that's just a guess. Let me know if you need any further info to help with this problem. After I get it going, it runs like a rapped ape.

Could be just because you have a big cam in it and not enough rear gear to pull.
I have a big cam in a 493 Indy head stroker and it will buck and jerk if yo start in second gear and I am running a 4:10 rear gear.
As soon I as the rpms pick up in second it stops bucking .
But from a dead stop , most people can't drive my car .

That is a common problem with the Hemi crossram. I helped mine with a o2 sensors and A/F Meter. There are threads with changes guys have made with adjustable metering blocks. I got most of the surging out but still had some at part throttle. Once you get past part throttle it clears up.

Auto Transport Service
Back