• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumbling in 1st Gear

The initial will have an effect on takeoff. If you only have 10 now, it may benefit bumping that up. Of course you will need to limit the total when you do that. I find that 18-20 initial works well on my cars.

HI,
Did you ever figure out what your timing is at idle?
Your problem could be timing.. at what rpm is the 35*

good luck take care be safe
tim

Total timing of 35*......is useless when taking off [ stumble territory ]...because it will not be at 35* at low rpms, it will be much less.

Read the link I posted in post #12. That is the starting point, otherwise you are wasting people's time.

Finally got a timing light hooked up... Looks like 15 initial and 20 total without vacuum. 35 total with vacuum

That cam will need a LOT more timing at idle than it currently has & it is the reason you are getting poor running. In the Edel owners handbook, there is half a page about dialling in low vacuum cams [ which is what you have....]. Read AGAIN the link I posted in post #12.

One of the fixes is more timing at idle.
Try this simple 5 min test: engine idling, turn dist slowly CW; this advances the timing. Idle rpm will increase [ how did I know THAT ]. Keep going until you have the highest rpm/smoothest idle. Then check the timing. Do not be surprised if it is 30+ degrees.

Report back with the results.

Auto Transport Service
Back