• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Swap Questions: 66' Belvedere II w/ Slant Six to 318

PlymouthWagon

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've got a 66' Belvedere II Wagon with a crusty ol' Slant six w/ 3 speed on the tree. I recently acquired a nice running 318 that I was planning on swapping into the car. It all seemed like a good idea... but, I've run into some snags with this strategy. I've searched the forums for this and I could not find this specific information/thread. I'm hoping someone out here can help!!

Snag #1: Can't seem to locate motor mounts for B Body Slant Six to Small Block 318.
Question#1: Is there a motor mount available for this swap? Or, does this swap require the removal of the K- member and change out to a different K member? Does it have to be a small block v8 k member or will any v8 including Big block work? Sure seems like a pain in the ***!!

Snag #2: The 318 will not adapt with the slant 6 3 speed transmission without a new bell housing, clutch fork, clutch etc? etc?
Question#2: Is it worth the effort in keeping the three speed in tact? What would be the best practice in this case?

I'd like to keep the car in tact... but, based on the limited information I can find... it appears moving from a slant 6 to a 318 would require significant modifications. Any thoughts? Advice, recommendations? I would appreciate it to the fullest.

Thx, Plymouth Wagon

I like your plan, stay with it. Do you like driving the 3 on the tree? They are fun to drive.

should be easy enough to get a SB bellhousing and clutch items.

I don’t know if they make conversion mounts for that.

Any 66/67 b-body V8 k member will work except hemi.
68-70 had a different idler arm but will work fine also.
1970 440 has a skid plate and is more money, you don’t need that,

I like your plan. Do you like the 3 on the tree? They are fun to drive.

I don’t know if they make conversion mounts for that.

Any 66/67 b-body V8 k member will work except hemi.
68-70 had a different idler arm but will work fine also.
1970 440 has a skid plate and is more money, you don’t need that,
Thanks for the information. Yes, I do like the 3 on tree - very fun to drive!

Conversion mounts used to be available if I'm not mistaken.id rather have the v8 k frame.
A small block 3 speed bellhousing might be hard to locate. Not sure if the 6 cyl and 8 cyl 3 speeds are the same.

Yeah, go with the V8 K-frame unless you are good with welding. If you find a bent V8 K for dirt checp, you can death wheel the stands off of it and weld them onto the K you have. The driver's side will be the harder stand to remove though. Steering box will need to be removed for better access. Heck, probably just as easy to swap the K's out. IIRC, the B bodies used the same K until 72? The E body cars used them through 74. And I remember conversion mounts were available at one time.....and the V8 K in my 66 Belvedere I came out of a 70 Challenger.

If the '66 3-speed was still non-synchro 1st gear - my '63 & '64 were - an A230 3-speed from an E-body fits a SB belljust fine: did that on my '64.
Different bolt pattern than the 4-speed IIRC.
That stuff isn't falling out of the trees, but has little value if you find it.
Not sure who does conversion stuff; used to be Imperial Services, but I think they quit or went under; I thought someone else was selling their products, but maybe not.

Aluminum SB Bell housings 68-71 for our mopar cars have dual bolt pattern for 3speed and 4 speed.
4.35 diameter Bore for the trans. I don’t know if the front bearing diameter of the 6 cyl trans fits the 4.35 bell housing.
A small block 3 speed bellhousing might be hard to locate. Not

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back