• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epoxy primer and body filler

I do NOT like to put body filler over any kind of primer, even epoxy. Shoot the epoxy on so no
rust can start, and then dolly the low areas as close as you can. Grind the filler areas with 36 grit
to give the metal some "teeth" to hang on to the filler. After that, three coats of 2k for sanding
and blocking. You could also use a product such as "Slick Sand" over the filler for blocking as it
is a high build product. Then go with the 2k primer.

On my Coronet 500, the roof was a bit rusty and pocked from the vinyl top.
I sanded it down and hit it with etching primer then the 2K epoxy primer.
Then I filled the B-piller seam with body filler, sanded it and another coat of 2k primer.
It has held up fine. I did that over 20-years ago and so far no problems.

I'm not a body guy, so there might be better and newer ways and products to use.

Your tech sheet should be referenced for what to do. PPG has a recoat window, that the only one I’ve shot. After that it need scuffed. My opinion is to block on the epoxy to find highs/lows with 80, then proceed with any filler.

There is no definitive absolute on bodywork, everyone has their technique. I still like to strip any primer with 36 grit before filling... Why? Because I've never had filler fail on me to this date so I guess it's me being stubborn knowing what has worked. I do however apply icing over primer if I find imperfections while blocking.

Auto Transport Service
Back