• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Equus 8200 in a 73 Satellite

r0yce

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi community!

I plan on installing an Equus 8200 gauge set (Water temp + Voltage + Oil Pressure) in my 73 Satellite (318).
Did anyone have experience with that gauge set and a 318 engine?
Do I need special adapters?
Where would the sending units of water temp and oil pressure go?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Water temp sender is usually in the front portion of the intake manifold.
Lots of limes adapters are required if the new gauges are mechanical.

Oil sender is in the back of the block, near the distributor.

Water temp sender is usually in the front portion of the intake manifold.
Lots of limes adapters are required if the new gauges are mechanical.

Oil sender is in the back of the block, near the distributor.
Thanks for getting back!
Could you please elaborate on "limes adapters"?
If "line adapters" are meant, what would these be?
According to Equus, the 8164 (Oil pressure) and 8162 (Water temp) are electrical gauges.

Thanks!

The instructions I found by the mfr. say #8200 are mechanical oil pressure, electrical voltage (obvious) and mechanical water temperature. Not all electrical!! So, you will need to find the right adapter to fit in the places YY1 has specified for you. On a big block, that would be 1/8" NPT for the oil and 3/8" for the water. I'm not sure on the small block, nor if they are all the same. Find the locations he described for the existing senders you will remove, and look at the sizes there (you may have to pull them to tell) .

HTH, Lefty71

The instructions I found by the mfr. say #8200 are mechanical oil pressure, electrical voltage (obvious) and mechanical water temperature. Not all electrical!! So, you will need to find the right adapter to fit in the places YY1 has specified for you. On a big block, that would be 1/8" NPT for the oil and 3/8" for the water. I'm not sure on the small block, nor if they are all the same. Find the locations he described for the existing senders you will remove, and look at the sizes there (you may have to pull them to tell) .

HTH, Lefty71
Yep, I just noticed that the 82xx line is mechanical, the 81xx line is electrical.
I might go with the 81xx line if that's an easier thing to install.
Are there any downsides with electrical gauges compared to mechanical ones?

edit: Actually, I was wrong. The 81xx series refers to 1 1/2" diameter, the 82xx series refers to 2" diameter gauges.
My question about electrical <-> mechanical still stands though :)

Last edited:
I like mechanical better too and the company that made the gauges may have the adapters needed or check with your local parts house. Been years since buying any but the locals carried them or could get them. Also most likely Summit has them too. Who are you buying the gauges from? That company may have what's needed to install them on your engine.

I like mechanical better too and the company that made the gauges may have the adapters needed or check with your local parts house. Been years since buying any but the locals carried them or could get them. Also most likely Summit has them too. Who are you buying the gauges from? That company may have what's needed to install them on your engine.
Is there any specific reason why you'd choose mechanical over electrical?
As I'm from Germany, I'll most likely buy from Summit over a group buy, organized by a friend. So I'll have to google the thread sizes needed on the block to check if a suitable adapter is already included or if I need to buy extra adapters.

Is there any specific reason why you'd choose mechanical over electrical?
As I'm from Germany, I'll most likely buy from Summit over a group buy, organized by a friend. So I'll have to google the thread sizes needed on the block to check if a suitable adapter is already included or if I need to buy extra adapters.
Mechanical gauges don't lie.....well, they are much more accurate than electrics at least.

Water temp is usually near the thermastat, some can be placed in radiator, oil will come from back of block. Tighten all connections! Don’t want oil spray under dash

I used to only run mechanical gauges but a number of years ago I swapped over to electrical for all. I agree that mechanical are traditionally more accurate (depends greatly on manufacturer) but once you have one of those nylon oil pressure lines let go under your dash you will go to electrical. Also I always hated the universal water temp lines that are always way too long.

My advice is to buy quality gauges either way (Autometer, SW, etc.) and as I said I prefer the electrical ones now. I sometimes do mount a mechanical oil pressure gauge under the hood making sure the line is well protected. This is useful when working on the engine.

Times.

"...lots of times..."

Funny, the water temp line that came with my SunPro gauge was way too short.
Only one real place to mount it without drilling a hole in the firewall.
Under the temp controls on the left side of the steering wheel.
Have to look through the wheel to see it.
Would have been nice if the line was long enough to put it under the ash tray.

Last edited:
I used to only run mechanical gauges but a number of years ago I swapped over to electrical for all. I agree that mechanical are traditionally more accurate (depends greatly on manufacturer) but once you have one of those nylon oil pressure lines let go under your dash you will go to electrical. Also I always hated the universal water temp lines that are always way too long.

My advice is to buy quality gauges either way (Autometer, SW, etc.) and as I said I prefer the electrical ones now. I sometimes do mount a mechanical oil pressure gauge under the hood making sure the line is well protected. This is useful when working on the engine.
Had more than one mechanical oil gauge that were hard lined.....harder to plumb but worth it imo.

I prefer electrical; no fluids in the cabin. Gauges are a baseline reference anyway - install, note typical "normal", then if things change....you look for problems.

I prefer electrical; no fluids in the cabin. Gauges are a baseline reference anyway - install, note typical "normal", then if things change....you look for problems.
I usually check my gauges....temp is checked with a precision thermometer....but the **** ones are too small :D. Oil pressure gets checked against a known calibrated gauge but have never had one that was off by much and voltage is easy to check with a meter. Fuel pressure gauges are always electric if in the cabin but have used mechanical ones mounted to the cowl. Easy to make a 'Z' bracket that mounts to the top of the fire wall and bend two 90* bends so it'll go up and over the cowl and then put a piece of rubber under the flat so it doesn't vibrate or sag against the paint. The later year cars with hoods that go up to the windshield are harder to do so the easy way would be to use an electric fuel pressure gauge....

Water temp is usually near the thermastat, some can be placed in radiator, oil will come from back of block. Tighten all connections! Don’t want oil spray under dash
Actually tried to install the water temp gauge today.
I noticed that the Equus nut / thread is way bigger than the original water temp sensor:
IMG_7309.JPG

I could install it in the radiator but the feeler wouldnt touch the actual coolant as the port to screw in is almost at the top of the radiator.
Any idea where the Equus temp sensor could be installed except for the original sensor location?

In your pic (post #17); the OEM sensor on the bottom is designed to be installed directly into the water with (pipe) tapped opening. The sensor shown on top is designed to be installed into an adaptor (whether open or closed style) which screws into a (pipe) tapped opening beforehand. If the adaptor is a closed style, then the void should have a high temp grease like never-seize to displace the air between sensor and well (adapter).

How about a pic of your available possibilities in the manifold especially?

Auto Transport Service
Back