• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethanol gas... advice?

Mateoconamor

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys, if ethanol is my only choice for fuel, what will I be looking at replacing and what will go bad? Thanks!

Elastomers, timing, tuning (more fuel per given air flow).

I think if you check some of the other area's there may be some topics and people that are racing with straight ethanol.

Nothing if you use a good additive. STA-BIL makes a new product that says ETHANOL on top of the label. You can get it anywhere. Works real good.

I assume that you are talking about E-10 (90% gas+10% ethanol). The first time E-10 is used in an older car, water that may be suspended in the fuel will separate and go to the bottom of the tank. Obviously this can cause all kinds of problems from plugged filters, rough idle, stalling, etc. The second thing is that the ethanol will attack any rubber in the fuel system, fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphragms etc. The main thing is to have a clean fuel system and buy gas at a place that you can trust. Like Rusty suggested, there are several fuel additives on the market that will help. If the rubber in your fuel system is old, say 15-20 years or more, change it out. Hoses, filters, fuel pump, everything. There's a lot of info on this topic on the net. www.thecarburetorshop.com/Ethanoluse.htm has a good article about E-10. Click on (articles) then ethanol use in older cars)

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back