• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What fuel do you use for your Mopar?

matchek

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
What fuel do you use for your Mopar? My 440 engine was manufactured in Oct 1972. When I have time and not in a pinch, my go to Sunoco 93 Ethanol free (~ $5/gallon). My second option is Shell 89 Ethanol free. I am fortunate I live near two gas stations that have ethanol free. I also bought many quarts of octane booster additives but never used them yet.

Ethanol gas by me is around $3 to $3.35/gallon. I was wondering with the compression ratios what gas you use and any recommendations for when you use it routinely and when you let it sit awile like Sea Foam, Sta Bil, etc.

Not sure if I am overkilling with the high octane ethanol free gas - I am being cautious but those prices are way out there. I don't know yet what my compression ratio is but a Oct 1972 engine, my hunch is 8.2:1.

If you have hardened valve seats, you could use the cheap swill.

Last edited:
93 non ethanol here. 4.79 a gallon today. 71 with rebuilt original 346 heads. I did not bother with hardened seats since they will likley out live me.

93 non ethanol here. 4.79 a gallon today. 71 with rebuilt original 346 heads. I did not bother with hardened seats since they will likley out live me.
Gas prices in NC is not terrible, but you are lucky - The Palmetto State has some of the cheapest gas around.

Truck-no biodiesel
Jeep- regular 87 and turbo-blue every once and a while, I like the smell
The Satellite- doesn't run, but I'd use 93 one tank, turbo-blue the next.

91 oct. swill here (best we got at the pump) for the RR w/6bbl
my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 truck 5.2ltr Magnum, I use the 89 oct.
it had a bunch of bolt-on mods & a Hypertech tuner

not sure if we are now on summer blend/swill (oxygenated swill)
or the winter blend/swill (higher ethanol content swill) still

unless it was going to be raced & I crank in the timing
then I'd add some Race Gas additive
or VP104 or 110 :blah:
it really doesn't make any more power
It just 'staves off' detonation a lil' better

Last edited:
From what I know I have a stock Oct 1972 440 engine. What seats would they have?
They should be hardened. But not the same process used in the 73-up 452 heads. I forget the difference in method, would have to look it up, I think 72 was a one year only for the method used. Your compression ratio shouldn't be in the basement yet with a 72 440, but my gut feeling is you are on the right track with the ethanol free 89. You could use the "10%" 89 in other places, all they do is mix the 87 with 10% ethanol with the non-ethanol premium 50/50 so you would have 5% ethanol, which shouldn't be a problem.

Cheapest at the pump. Which was Phillips 66, 87oct E-10.

They should be hardened. But not the same process used in the 73-up 452 heads. I forget the difference in method, would have to look it up, I think 72 was a one year only for the method used. Your compression ratio shouldn't be in the basement yet with a 72 440, but my gut feeling is you are on the right track with the ethanol free 89. You could use the "10%" 89 in other places, all they do is mix the 87 with 10% ethanol with the non-ethanol premium 50/50 so you would have 5% ethanol, which shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks Detective. By the way, with the regard to the hardened seats - would you please describe the difference and how it relates to fuel? Just curious. I remember talking with a Mopar expert several months ago and he told me I was lucky to have the Oct 1972 engine because it would be more compatible with modern gas. We didn't go into detail as I had carb problems at the time but your mention of the seats and compression ratio rekindled my memory.

VP racing fuel. 110 octane expensive but in my opinion worth it. Car runs much better!

When the “lead” was taken out of gasoline, there went the “cushion” for the valves slapping the seats.

Thanks Detective. By the way, with the regard to the hardened seats - would you please describe the difference and how it relates to fuel? Just curious. I remember talking with a Mopar expert several months ago and he told me I was lucky to have the Oct 1972 engine because it would be more compatible with modern gas. We didn't go into detail as I had carb problems at the time but your mention of the seats and compression ratio rekindled my memory.
5.7 hemi has it, early 70's they took lead out of gas, emissions reasons mostly related to the up and coming cat converters that would plug on leaded gas.

When the seats are not hardened, they need the lead to prevent wear. Worn valve seats lead to what is called a "sunk valve". This means the seat has worn, the valve face "sinks" into the port a little further, and then this can lead to sloppyness on the other end (valve spring end) but mostly once it gets bad enough everything gets out of whack and the engine runs bad, eventually really bad. That's the short of it.

You can run your car with unhardened seats, but the engine(the heads specifically) will wear out prematurely. Because yours are hardened, you really don't need to worry about it, modern gas will not make it wear out faster.

One thing to watch for modern gas with ethanol, ethanol stores really really poorly. It will turn into green goop and plug things up and make your carb basically gum up. Several weeks is still ok, but if you park the car for 6 months you should make sure it gets enough excercise to clean itself back out. Over a year and you will probably have sticky carb issues.

91 octane is the best I can get here. Less corn in the higher grades. They do offer 87 no corn at a few pumps.

93, ethanol-free. Fred slurps it right up - and where I have him dialed in at, he hates the typical
alky blended crap everyone else sells. Actually rattles a little on it and loses throttle tip-in snap.

Can't get ethanol-free around my way so i use 93 with "Stabile" Marine additive. My car is 9.8 to 1 , I'm sure i'd be ok with even 91

It will run on pump premium, but there's detonation if I push it too hard. The GTX really likes 50/50 mix of non-oxy premium and SONOCO 110, especially if the air is good...
117391473_3139652619405531_6175844726852213331_o.jpg

What fuel do you use for your Mopar? My 440 engine was manufactured in Oct 1972. When I have time and not in a pinch, my go to Sunoco 93 Ethanol free (~ $5/gallon). My second option is Shell 89 Ethanol free. I am fortunate I live near two gas stations that have ethanol free. I also bought many quarts of octane booster additives but never used them yet.

Ethanol gas by me is around $3 to $3.35/gallon. I was wondering with the compression ratios what gas you use and any recommendations for when you use it routinely and when you let it sit awile like Sea Foam, Sta Bil, etc.

Not sure if I am overkilling with the high octane ethanol free gas - I am being cautious but those prices are way out there. I don't know yet what my compression ratio is but a Oct 1972 engine, my hunch is 8.2:1.
vp 110, 13.3 compression, 35 degrees TA, 3 1/2 advance on cam 5inches of vacuum @ idle, dual quad on tunnel ram 509cuin. 590 PS harlan sharp rollers Dave. this is a street car! I have had much worse hobbys!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back