• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evaporust on oil pan

pjm8047

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
i bought a 402 oil pan for $60 and have been using Evaporust and naval jelly to clean up the rust.. They both work great. Heres some pics of the cleaning Process so far.

074E232D-67E9-4CA6-90D4-6F487C59A92A.jpeg

EA0B2FF6-ED6E-404C-BA18-4C4ECE0733A3.jpeg

662D8DB2-774D-411A-B6FB-250D4E9555F3.jpeg

225D0DFA-8974-4684-AD54-4F908D859185.jpeg

Try molasses & water if you have the time. Way cheaper!

I’ve heard about that. Got 30% off on the Evaporust at harbor freight being a regular customer. Plus project farm says it works

Vinegar works pretty good on surface rust too. If that doesn't cut it go to Phosphoric acid. Home Depot, $10 a gallon. Make sure you neutralize it with baking soda and water once it has eaten the rust off or it will start to eat the steel.

Vinegar works pretty good on surface rust too. If that doesn't cut it go to Phosphoric acid. Home Depot, $10 a gallon. Make sure you neutralize it with baking soda and water once it has eaten the rust off or it will start to eat the steel.
Yeah ive used that acid before it works but it’s strong stuff. Need to wear a hazmat suit to work with the stuff lol. Evaporust wont eat the metal no matter how long you let it soak and its reusable.

How long do you leave it on there?
Does the Boss know you're using her washing machine to rest de-rusting parts on? :D
24 hours per side slow process but it works. Im the boss in my house lol

After using my Milwaukee die grinder

32F8CB18-86BA-4C54-9D69-E023C93DB26A.jpeg

9988BE79-C300-48E0-8A0E-83115AB17304.jpeg

Last edited:
How about the rust under the baffles?

How about the rust under the baffles?
I ask this because I had one that at first glance didn’t look as bad as this, but had a lot of flaky rust behind the baffles. I ended up drilling out the spot welds, cleaning up the rust, and welding it back together.

I ask this because I had one that at first glance didn’t look as bad as this, but had a lot of flaky rust behind the baffles. I ended up drilling out the spot welds, cleaning up the rust, and welding it back together.
I filled the pan with Evaporust covering the baffles. I checked under them with my borescope they look clean.

You did check the threads for the drain plug before all this?

Auto Transport Service
Back