• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever cross thread an oil filter

Bee1971

Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Well I did for the first time today - Well not really cross threaded myself but

Probably been changing oil on all my own cars , at the airport , for the better part of 35 years

At least I check for leaks and oil level before closing the hood

To say it had a leak was an understatement - 5 quarts of 0W20 all over my beautiful concrete driveway
My wife’s Outlander Sport that I have been changing oil on since new - Honestly the easiest oil filter location in history

My first WIX Filter with defective threads - And yes , I blame myself for not double checking
But yes , defective thread , one defective thread actually

The threads on the Sport where are still perfection

Had two more new WIX filters in the garage cabinet and both screwed on perfect

DID I SAY WHAT AN F FING MESS !!!

5 more quarts of synthetic oil - Oil dry - Now cleaning the concrete - Her car

Thanx for listening , Scott

I’ve never worked on an Outlander so I can’t judge, but have you seen the new Subaru’s? You pop the hood, and there on top right in front of you is the oil filter. It is even surrounded by a tray to catch drips. Why other car makers haven’t done something similar astounds me. My V6 1999 Dakota was a nightmare, resulting in a shirtsleeve full of oil, and the smell of burning oil until all of the mess burned off.

I’ve never worked on an Outlander so I can’t judge, but have you seen the new Subaru’s? You pop the hood, and there on top right in front of you is the oil filter. It is even surrounded by a tray to catch drips. Why other car makers haven’t done something similar astounds me. My V6 1999 Dakota was a nightmare, resulting in a shirtsleeve full of oil, and the smell of burning oil until all of the mess burned off.
The oil filter on the 3.6l. V-6 on my 2015 Durango drops in from the top as well. Likely one of messiest to change is the filter on our revered big blocks. The filter fights for space with the water pump intake hose. If the car has power steering, it is hard to thread the old filter out. Then, there's the mess to clean up on the front crossmember after the old filter has slobbered all over it.

Cut a piece of tin can to fit under the BB filter and leave a lip on the rear so the oil flows toward the front.
Mike

I run or wrap a Jet A type absorbent towel under my oil filter on my Big Block 383
Oil flows over the towel when removing oil filter , over the K Member right into my catch container

Zero mess

Unlike what I just described in Post 1

The filter on the Wife’s 200s is a breeze
and no mess. on the passenger side top
easiest one i’ve ever changed.

Want a mess just try the old Chevy pressure lube canisters. At least the filter you could poke a hole in and come back and remove it after the oil drained out.

OK, I just have to ask..........
"Probably been changing oil on all my own cars , at the airport , for the better part of 35 years".

Toyota pickups used to have that.

I have been doing PM's on big trucks since I was a teenager, and have NEVER heard of a cross thread. I have had some filters that I couldn't get off and had to cut away the filter to unscrew the base with a hammer and chisel.
Sorry for your mess. You live at an airport?

Sorry for your mess. You live at an airport?

LOL

After 35 years , I feel like I live at the airport - I have slept there during playoff weekends or winter storms - Back at her today with the Steelers in town

I run the Line Ramp / Tarmac / Hangars / Jet A trucks - 100LL - GPUs - De Icers - Belt Loaders - Tow Tractors / Tugs - Lektros

Today we should have over 100 Private Jets for the game - Everything from 172-s to G650-s

Ready to hang it up honestly - Winters are kicking my *** with age

Anyways , Cross thread , DEFECTIVE THREAD on the oil filter that I MENTIONED in my first post , maybe Cross thread was the WRONG LANGUAGE you get my point , bottom line the damn oil filter didn’t seal all the way to the block properly even though i had it hand tight

And yes the Wix filter had a defective thread

Peace Scott

Last edited:
It wasn't that the old gasket was still on it, was it? A double gasket will empty the engine in a hurry. I've never had a cross threaded filter, either - although I've tried. :eek:

Well Cross threaded Napa/Wix oil filters seem to be a popular coincidence in Wisconsin This Week! My very capable buddy was changing the oil in his boat , an inboard small block Chebbi, screwed the filter on (1069 napa gold) with no problem or any indication of an issue. Poured in the oil, and when he fired it up, pumped it all into the compartment below the engine. After removing ,inspecting, cleaning all mating surfaces he saw no obvious problem, re -installed , everything felt fine and normal, and proceded to duplicate his earlier mess!....after a call to me and an extremely close examination of said filter, it was a very difficult to detect ..
but YES cross threaded machined threads!
CRAZY!
Must be a Wisconsin Thing!

Well I will Bee dipped in ————

And after some more research on WIX / Napa Gold , guess what , it’s happened
CHECK YOUR THREADS

I like that wording better , Cross Threaded Machined Threads On Oil Filter

Now that will Bee a mess , engine compartment of a boat - Sorry to hear that honestly
That really sucks

And I didn’t win the Powerball last night

Last edited:
Well I will Bee dipped in ————

And after some more research on WIX / Napa Gold , guess what , it’s happened
CHECK YOUR THREADS

I like that wording better , Cross Threaded Machined Threads On Oil Filter

Now that will Bee a mess , engine compartment of a boat - Sorry to hear that honestly
That really sucks

And I didn’t win the Powerball last night
Bee1971.... Talk about some Crazy ****!!
GO PACKERS!!!

How can you tell? I partially pre fill, spin a little then back off and spin-on a second time. Lube gasket and ensure old one off. Always thought you could sense a good mating. If it spins on and feels good how can bad threads be detected. Snug then 180.
Doesn’t everyone stay underneath watch it idle for 3 minutes after install and just watch. Not being critical i wont tell you the easy stuff I’ve fucked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back