• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EX Valves for 452 iron heads

m79ded

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
I am refreshing a set of 452 heads and I already have the 2.14 MP intakes from a while ago, I need to get exhaust valves. I was looking @ Ferrea 5000 and Milodon's 1.74 and 1.81. The plan is to put them onto a 400 or a 451 with a mild 220-228 490 lift cam, the heads will just be bowl blended and mostly street use.
Any preferences? on brand and size?
Thanks

Make sure you have the throats cut for oversize valves. A 70 degree cut will save you a lot of grinding.

I personally would go with the 1.81. Any good brand, but I have no preference.

I'm with Jerry, 1.81 with the 2.14 intake on iron heads is a proven combo.
Brand? Ferrea is good, I like Manleys. Milodon is a no for me, but that's just me.

I'm with Jerry, 1.81 with the 2.14 intake on iron heads is a proven combo.
Brand? Ferrea is good, I like Manleys. Milodon is a no for me, but that's just me.
Is there any concern with removing the hardness on the seat or doesn't matter with the Stainless valves?

Is there any concern with removing the hardness on the seat or doesn't matter with the Stainless valves?
Bigger valves, new hardened seats. I believe 1.74 valves were stock on the 452 heads. They're the same as 906's but with hardened seats.

The 452 is a very good head with the 2.14/1.81 valve combination. I doubt the hardenend seat is much of an issue unless you plan on 50,000 miles.

With that mild cam and relatively low valve spring pressures I doubt you'll have any issues without the hardened seats....and will most likely still have some hardness in there after the cut for the larger valves.

I put 2.14/1.81 valves in 452 heads. The good news is it gets you into new material for your seat, in case the original seats had sunk.

other than a miniscule compression loss....does it really matter much if one sinks the exhaust valve some? i doubt it.

other than a miniscule compression loss....does it really matter much if one sinks the exhaust valve some? i doubt it.
The other adverse effect is the first movement of the valve off the seat doesn't allow unobstructed flow from the valve since it is shrouded by being sunk. That is the main concern of sinking a valve, especially on a low lift camshaft.

Going to the larger valve will not sink the valve much if any. The performance key is what's below the seat. A modern "deep cut" valve job will do pretty much of the job. An old school pocket port makes a lot of difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back