• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust installer is and idiot.

It's funny to me how everyone goes for a huge collector and 3" pipes just because of "big is best"....when in actual fact, tuning the headers to the engine is what is more sensible. I opted for a smaller header tube (1-3/4") with standard 3" collector, and on my engine is runs very well on both street and the Dyno. Only making a shade over 400HP, and I don't care...what's more important to me is having an engine that is reliable and runs well without coughing, spluttering and wheezing every time i drive the car.
I'm going to make a better video than this....but listen close, and this is on the older spark plugs (before I changed to Autolite 86)....

:D

It's funny to me how everyone goes for a huge collector and 3" pipes just because of "big is best"....when in actual fact, tuning the headers to the engine is what is more sensible. I opted for a smaller header tube (1-3/4") with standard 3" collector, and on my engine is runs very well on both street and the Dyno. Only making a shade over 400HP, and I don't care...what's more important to me is having an engine that is reliable and runs well without coughing, spluttering and wheezing every time i drive the car.
I'm going to make a better video than this....but listen close, and this is on the older spark plugs (before I changed to Autolite 86)....

Good way to get hit driving on the wrong side of the road!! Looks beautiful down there, one of these days I'm coming down for a visit.

This is a darn good question - and no, the TTI primo $$$ ones aren't the answer for those of us not made of currency.
I really like the fit of my Hooker Super Comps, no denting and they clear a factory starter no problem. My biggest complaint and by looking at others it seams to be common with all brands is that in a low deck the headers hang down to much..... the only part of my car that ever drags.

Good way to get hit driving on the wrong side of the road!! Looks beautiful down there, one of these days I'm coming down for a visit.

Yeah, we like to live life in the fast lane. :lol:

Any time you feel like jumping on a big white bird....you're more than welcome to stay with us....free pickup from the Auckland Int. Airport in my GTX and a "Tiki-Tour" around the countryside. :thumbsup: That offer stands for ALL Members.

Well I don't know who your implying this to but I to have 1 3/4 headers and a 3" collector. I've worked on dirt bike's,limited hydroplanes and sprint cars and there exhaust are all unique but I knew going in from my past experience with a 73 Charger I was going to have some headaches with after market components so I'm not surprised by what happened. Just wish they would of called me first. I know the headers I had on my last one in 1982 the headers would bottom out if I hit a hill to fast getting a run at it. I don't know if I should get a different set of headers or just leave it be it sounds like on here I'm going to be chasing my tail.

So what did everyone do for 40 + years before the advent of the mini starter ?

Like marpar said , BFH :lol: I had a few B body mopars over the 70s and 80s a couple of them had headers, elcheapo ones Cyclone ect, Back then you just figured on a starter switch out once a year { stock size oem style starters } also a blown header gasket from time to time.
My 68 charger , you had to unbolt the header from the muff and head plus jack up the engine on the left side just to do a starter switch LOL.
I really like the Tri Ys I have now, stock size starter fits fine and can be removed if needed without unbolting the header.

Like marpar said , BFH :lol: I had a few B body mopars over the 70s and 80s a couple of them had headers, elcheapo ones Cyclone ect, Back then you just figured on a starter switch out once a year { stock size oem style starters } also a blown header gasket from time to time.
My 68 charger , you had to unbolt the header from the muff and head plus jack up the engine on the left side just to do a starter switch LOL.
I really like the Tri Ys I have now, stock size starter fits fine and can be removed if needed without unbolting the header.
I've given those a fair bit of thought myself. What brand are yours? Pics?

Yeah, we like to live life in the fast lane. :lol:

Any time you feel like jumping on a big white bird....you're more than welcome to stay with us....free pickup from the Auckland Int. Airport in my GTX and a "Tiki-Tour" around the countryside. :thumbsup: That offer stands for ALL Members.
Love that YT video, as you can probably tell.
Just a couple fellas on a quick ride to the shop - on the wrong damn side of the road! :lol:
Your country does look beautiful. Bucket list stuff for the likes of me.
Sort of reminds me of here....:thumbsup:

Doug, I think it's obvious that you should have used (Doug's Headers)!:lol:Just Kidding, are they still in business? I did want to mention though that someone on this forum recently discussed mini starters and they mentioned that late model Dodge Dakotas have a factory mini starter and the wire hook ups might be correct on that application, I'm not sure! By the way, I have 1 3/4" headers with 3" collectors on my 73 440 clone. Who ever made them was embarrassed to even stamp their name or number anywhere on them; and yes, whoever installed them used the hammer trick to clear the former power steering and starter. If I live long enough to have to replace them, I will indeed go with Tri Y's as well. I hope it all works out for you. By the way, your car is beautiful!

So what did everyone do for 40 + years before the advent of the mini starter ?
Ran Super Comps on a 71 340 Cuda AND could even get the factory size starter in and out without unbolting them! When the starter went south I was dreading unbolting them because they weren't leaking and then noticed that it might come out without having to unbolt them. It wasn't just a drop out though. You had to hold your mouth just right, cross your legs and bite your lip to get it positioned just right to be able to pull it out and then remember how it came out so you could stick in the new one the same way....

Doug, I think it's obvious that you should have used (Doug's Headers)!:lol:Just Kidding, are they still in business? I did want to mention though that someone on this forum recently discussed mini starters and they mentioned that late model Dodge Dakotas have a factory mini starter and the wire hook ups might be correct on that application, I'm not sure! By the way, I have 1 3/4" headers with 3" collectors on my 73 440 clone. Who ever made them was embarrassed to even stamp their name or number anywhere on them; and yes, whoever installed them used the hammer trick to clear the former power steering and starter. If I live long enough to have to replace them, I will indeed go with Tri Y's as well. I hope it all works out for you. By the way, your car is beautiful!
Thank you I appreciated the input and my car is blushing at your comment ha ha.

Take the headers out of his last paycheck is what I say. I bitched out midas for using giant woodscrews to hold in my hangers on a custom exhaust for my 68 Fury. The passenger side failed and dropped the pipe, breaking the manifold in the process. They said since it was a custom job there's nothing they could do. Last time I ever use midas

I did do research 33 years worth of it I burned up 2 starters in 3 years back in the early 80's with the exact same car. My brother in law has restored 3 dodge chargers 1 challenger and just finished a 440 cuda he was the one that suggested the mini vs stock starter. I've been around the block a time or to with these cars.

I have worked with old timers that are hacks, man. "I've always done it this way" is NO excuse for doing **** work. Some guys fumble their way through life not by their great skills but by sheer luck and opportunity. Being old and experienced does not mean that the man is smart and competent.
Hedman Hedders are not the cream of the crop. They are not the worst but the cheaper price usually means that dents and dings are needed to fit. Doug's and TTI headers are more expensive but they fit. You are not likely to have problems like these with those brands.
A mini starter is smaller in diameter AND shorter but that is only part of the problem. If the solenoid is clocked wrong, you may have LESS clearance when using the wrong one. Some position the solenoid toward the top, close to the engine block. Some place them toward the drivers wheel a bit more. Ordering one online can be tricky. I had similar problems years ago with starter/header interference. I called Mancini Racing and asked them to pull a starter from stock and describe the position of the solenoid. When it arrived, even it did not fit. The safest way might be to physically see the starter in front of you.
The 400 engine is a LOW deck big block. The exhaust ports sit about 3/4" lower (Closer to the starter) than a 413, 426 and 440. This may have a negative effect on header clearance

I have Hedmans on mine as well ('68 GTX 440 4-speed). I wish I didn't (previous owner installed them). The fit is awful with these and spark plug access absolutely sucks.
I too don't see how a stock starter would even work with Hedmans. I have a much smaller 1995 Dakota V8 starter on mine and the headers hit on it the same place as on yours - it's as if Hedman refuses to acknowledge these things HAVE starters or something.
When either a)the starter gives up the ghost or b)the headers rot out, the Hedmans will be history and I'll never buy a replacement set from that company.

Hedman, Hooker....They both suck *** and they have no intention of improving their designs. **** that. I'd warn anyone against buying these **** headers, even people that I don't like.

My last set was purchased from MP. Starter clearance is OK no need for bending them. Mount on a 383. Sparkplug clearance is not perfect but acceptable. Had to redrill some header flange hole for proper alignment and file the flanges to sit flat on the head.
They are a tight fit with the stock starter but no dents.

Auto Transport Service
Back