• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust leak on the 1971 Charger 383.

SteveSS

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 Charger 500 that has been sitting in the garage for years. I had the original engine rebuilt and installed. The second we started it up it sounded like it had an exhaust leak. I got so disgusted I just turned it off and walked away. Now I'm ready to tackle it. It doesn't look like I'm getting the headers off without creating more room. Can I lift the engine enough to disconnect and reconnect the headers? I have a cherry picker. Is there a good way to go underneath?

What tricks should I employ to restart a newly rebuilt engine that has been sitting for years?

Once again headers are usually the big problem.
First check if the driver's side is hitting the starter as they often do. If it is then you'll need to mark it remove and clearance it. ( Dent it in)

To make room you need to take out the motor mount bolt remove the dipstick usually and then you can Jack it up maybe an inch or more.

Likely the starter and header need to be removed and installed simultaneously.

Check the header for bent flanges on a granite black or countertop if possible.

Don't forget to drain some coolant and apply thread sealant to the bolts when you reinstall it.

Headers = headache.

As far as restarting you should prime the oil gallery with a hex shaft on the oil pump and then reinstall the distributor. Take a picture or mark with a Sharpie before you remove it.

When you start it run it at 1,500 - 2,000 for 5 minutes or more make sure the thermostat opens.

I can't say for sure on the '71s...but on my '68 I pop the drag link off of the tie rod ends and Pittman so I can swing it out of the way. With the car up on jackstands the headers slip right in from underneath, no jacking the engine or anything else. Getting that steering link outta the way is the key for mine...maybe for yours too?

Whoa! Whoa! If it's the header to cylinder head gasket, you can usually slip the header back a few inches and slip a new gasket in there. And...on fresh build, it could be just a couple loose header/manifold nuts.

Whoa! Whoa! If it's the header to cylinder head gasket, you can usually slip the header back a few inches and slip a new gasket in there. And...on fresh build, it could be just a couple loose header/manifold nuts.
3anki8-2542059442.jpg

What ??? Why would you do all that to change a header gasket ? Why are you taking the headers "off" ? Is this a big block or small block ? Have you ascertained where exactly the exhaust leak is ? Do you know if in fact it IS an exhaust leak ? Is it, or is it a stuck lifter ? Everybody jumps to conclusions without knowing the culprit in the first place.

Auto Transport Service
Back