• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Science Demystified

i thought exhaust cross overs (h or x) reduced noise
Correct

allowing the factory to use low restriction mufflers.
Low restriction mufflers need not have an X or H pipe on factory cars. Ultimately it is the level of sound. The car companies have to sell these cars to the public and be quite. While 99% of us here don’t mind a rumble, we are the minority against the public by a huge margin.
The H & X pipes quiteness was found by accident.
(Thank you Petty Enterprises!)

Have there ever been any flow tests on factory mufflers?
Yes! I have seen only about a half dozen or so tests on various factory mufflers. Not “Our” mufflers specifically or labeled “This is a “Plymouth muffler from a ‘70 Road Runner.”

The flow rates posted floated between (IIRC) 189 - 228 cfm area.

You can goggle thi. But finding anything specific is super hard. Finding muffler flow rates doesn’t always show under a single search ether.

Also, when you get right down to it, following David Vizards 2.2 cfm per HP and finding a muffler for it is only possible with straight through mufflers like Magna flows, Hooker Max Flow or Dyno Max Max Flo’s etc... the straight through glass pack style muffler. Which do not always fit the sound you maybe looking for.

There are a few capable “Turbo” mufflers that will handle some reasonably powerful cars. But nothing that really pumps!!!

It is a cryin shame muffler companies do not rate there mufflers cfm ability. And I think if they did, they would lose out big time. Flow Master would fold IMO.

Auto Transport Service
Back