• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Tip Hanger Nut Snapped

My 69 Super bee has the "other" style tip hangers that mount to the side of the frame rail vs. the bottom of it. It positions the hanger in the same place but it threads into the side of the frame rail. I bet the hole to use this style hanger are there on your car as well as mine has the threads on the bottom even though i'm not using it.

Id also consider drilling out the busted one and simply using an oversize self tapping bolt instead of cutting the trunk pan etc. I mean its not a concourse show car and there's enough meat in that frame rail to hold it.

The least amount of work would be to cut a channel on hanger tab to where the bolt goes, slide it around the bolt & hook it in. There's enough of the bolt out to do that. Right now it's a low priority project & not visible.

Cut the head flush, shove the remains up into the rail, out of the way.
Get a toggle bolt the right dia. shove up in the rail, tighten, dab of undercoat, wash hands.

Should be two access holes just forward of the broken nut and it should fit through the hole and be able to be removed after you cut the bolt off short. The fix can be a small square of heavy gauge metal with a hole drilled in and have the nut welded to one side and then retap. Open the hole in the frame just large enough for the nut side to fit through then weld the sheetmetal square/rectangle to the bottom of the frame. If you bevel the edges and slightly indent the frame area it could be very flush and easy to disappear. If you are desperate to not weld on the car, you could clean real well and use panel bond to install the patch. Maybe!

I know this is an old thread. But hope it helps someone.

I did a fix that is certainly not stock, or judge worthy. But...

I first widened the hole in the frame rail just a bit with a step drill, one between the 2 threaded nut holes that the bracket goes on. I used a wire to fish out the old broken bolt and the original nut that was welded on inside the frame rail. They came out as one piece as the nut gave way from the frame rail (PO).

I then took a piece of flat metal bar and made it skinny enough to fit through the hole. Then drilled and tapped a hole that was the thread size of the bolt. Then slipped it inside the rail. Lined up the hole...and Voila! The bar acts like a wrench that when the bolt it tightened it goes up against the rail and then the bolt pulls it down tight.

It’s all hidden. Again not judge worthy...but got the job done and the bracket is securely in place. I did this first as I did not want to drilled down through the trunk. The area is also directly below the bracket the reinforces the bumper bolts. So did not want to disturb that. Again...crude. But hidden. And secure.

EBE85E52-4651-4DD8-ADB8-E8ED77C1B192.jpeg E308E15A-FE52-4773-8ACE-0457FC3B66D1.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back