• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extreme makeover...Dodge Charger edition (long post)

Donniejr81

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
OK my 71 Charger 500 is back in my possession. A family member had wanted to buy it but never coughed up the cash, so back to me it came. I'm at a point now where I have to make some serious albeit shade tree mechanic headway (for now). In order to keep a car where we live it must be licensed, driveable, and not a "nuisance". The car is currently stored at my Dad's who is going to be downsizing this Summer. So I have 1700 dollars and about 3 months to get it driveable and not an eyesore.

The good: rebuilt 727, steering, suspension, and brake system, and new gas tank and exhaust.

The bad: floors and quarters have so much filler and glass they could pass through an airport metal detector, windshield cracked, seats and dash pad trashed, and the 400 that resides in it has developed a faint knock in the bottom end.

More good: I already have paint and primer (cheap single stage stuff), a wire feed mig welder, carpet, and a brother who works in a fab shop so I have access to lots of extra metal.

Here's my plan...smooth out the filler the PO did and add a little more, prime and paint the body to the best of my ability, find some comfortable bucket seats and replace the headliner, weld in some heavy subframe connectors, and try to freshen the 400...all in 3 months and under 1700 dollars. My biggest concern is the weakened floor and it being a unibody...I'm wanting it to be safe to drive until we can buy a house. I plan on doing a proper resto when time and money allows but for now I don't have any other options except sell it. Can it be done? Driveable...safe...not a "nuisance"?

That takes shoestring budget to a whole new level. The windshield is going to be the killer. Not to mention the knock. Hopefully its just a bearing issue. Yank the motor, flip it over and pull the pan. Slam rods and mains in it. Frame connectors and additional metal as needed to keep the seats inside the car. It can be done. Time is the real killer here. 3 months is tight assuming you dont have all day every day to mess with it. Hope the weekends are free. Focus on 1 thing at a time. Motor should be 2 days tops. The floors are not the main support really. They are just spot welded in. Frame rails, rockers and crossmembers are what need to be super strong. How bad is it anyway?
:worthless_thread:

Let's see some pics ,anything is possible with enough time and a proper budget.

Photo0493.jpg1102141730-1.jpgPhoto0492.jpgP10-04-11_18.29.jpg

These are some pics of not long before I put it in the work shop to start on it. The rockers and frame have already had new metal welded in so that's a plus. As far as engine parts go I already have a new cam and lifter set, valve springs, oil pump, and timing chain set from a previous project. As far as the windshield... I found a local place that can have me one in 2 days for 117 bucks if we install it. And Dad has already switched his off days to coincide with mine to lend a hand...benefits of being self employed. It'll be rough but we're gonna give it hell.

I agree yon need to attack one thing at a time and you'll get it done.
The weak floors is got to be addressed, connectors will help allot but don't get on it too hard, you don't want to twist it. I did it once to a road runner and bent the crap out of it, even the a pillar to cowl broke loose, ended up selling the car for parts.
That car is worth saving, good luck.

Made a trip to The Metal Supermarket in Louisville today and glad I did that place is great. I got the square tubing and metal plates for the subframe connectors. I'm using 2"x2" square with 3/16" thick walls...its some pretty stout stuff. Got some 1/4" steel plates to make the mounting plates for the connectors. With any luck...and getting rid of a damn cold I'll get them cut fabbed and welded in this weekend. Also got some 20 gauge sheet metal to fab some patches for the floors and quarters where metal is totally gone and has fiberglass living in its place. Will be nowhere near correct or perfect...but safe...I will make sure of. Hope to get some more pics this weekend of much needed progress.

Well yesterday I scored a complete 400 4bbl engine for 200 bucks. Suppose to have ran good when it was pulled. Best I can tell its a 1977 model. I pulled a valve cover and it was very clean inside and has 452 heads. Already have my gasket kit to inspect and reseal everything as well as a new oil pump and timing set I already had. Gonna get her cleaned and painted this weekend...I hope. Pics to come when I get back down to dad's Sunday. Hopefully it'll save me a few hundred dollars to put be able to put a little more money toward other areas now in my ultra cheap Charger rehab.

Nice score, 400's are a great motor! The Charger looks pretty solid, good luck with the build.

$1700 doesn't go far especially around my neck of the woods, spend wisely, good luck.

IMG_20150426_113406904.jpg
After getting the heads and intake off. I'm guessing the engine is low mileage because almost no cylinder ridge at and still seeing the cross hatch.

Auto Transport Service
Back