• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy needing assistance plz.

Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m gonna be in a position to start back up on my 69’ Cuda Fastback and I had a few questions first. I guess the three most important ones would be: where do I start lol, I guess that’s kinda vague without first stating where it’s at so here goes. I’ve got a rolling chassis with some fairy minor rusting at the suspect locations that generally plague these classics, trunk, windshield seating surface etc. but mine was garage kept for the last 30 or so years so again it’s minimal and I just happen to be a tig welder extraordinaire lol oops my ego just jumped out there. My main focus is getting this car back on the road and driveable again so, no, it is not getting a complete restoration at this time although it is a damn good candidate for one and maybe once I retire or win the lottery I would be in a better position to do so. This brings me to my second point of interest which is front brakes, I’ve got drums all the way around (not a 41 code) and I am curious what kind of disk brake conversion kits are available or recommended whilst retaining the original bolt pattern. This car will be getting a rebuilt 340 and an upgraded intake and carburetor installed so I will need a bit more stopping power. Lastly and this is of least importance at this time, are there any kits available to change the column shift over to a center console shift? A friend of mine had this thing lying around (hopefully it’s the right part number) and I couldn’t help but think how cool would this be. Any assistance or recommendations will be greatly appreciated, this might be the start of my general build thread but I don’t know yet for sure. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

BE755E70-4B76-4187-B6D8-995ECF877821.jpeg

E48D0FBD-9B28-4556-9FB9-D19F1DA46DE2.jpeg

4F9B082C-4993-48EF-8E17-8B9B5B4384FA.jpeg

0342882F-5F63-4973-B0C2-7AE20AFE072A.jpeg

Welcome aboard! Lot's of guys with A bodies here that are able and willing to help, but this is the B bodies forum. Note that there is also an Abodies forum..

Here’s what it looks like with the console sitting down on the trans tunnel and the basically the whole front driver’s side area (I know, I’ve got my work cut out for me lol) let me know what you think and possibly a wiring schematic for the front dash rat nest of wires if anyone has one available :lowdown:

ADF6D047-CAC1-4446-9A7B-CC205879A6E0.jpeg

Welcome aboard! Lot's of guys with A bodies here that are able and willing to help, but this is the B bodies forum. Note that there is also an Abodies forum..
Thanks for that dadsbee, I had a thread started up over there and was struggling a bit (also lost my password lol) I figured everyone over here seems pretty active still so what would it hurt to try? I’m still probably gonna bounce back and forth though if I am being honest.

Many of us bounce back and forth, as many of us have both A and B body cars. I find the most "help' and less bickering comes from here vs Abodies.

Hey there. I'm going to be passing through Bremerton today. I'll wave as I go by :lol:

I'm not an A body guy so I can't help much with much, but when you do convert to disc, I suggest going to the larger 5x4-1/2 bolt pattern as it will make future wheel choice much more open. Of course, you'll want to convert the rear too if you do this.

A few things you will need to download. Go to MyMopar.com there is a ton of useful stuff there. Wiring schematics, Shop manuals and many other useful items to add to your library.

Here is the page for the wiring schematics. Select your year and it will give you the schematics for all mopars that year you will have to open the zip file and find the barracuda pages. Usually just 2 an A and a B schematic. Front half and rear half of the car.

Here is the link for the Shop manuals.

The A Body Forum is a source for a manual steering column. Steering wheels can be fixed too.

The quick and dirty from an A body driver of many years and a few rebuilt cars.
It will be a small bolt pattern, correct?
1. If it has an 8 3/4 I understand the cost of converting to LBP. If it has an 7 1/4 (not what I think) you will probably want to change that for the 340 planned anyway.
So, figure out what you want to do and the ins and outs with that. Plan ahead. Doctor Diff is a good resource for brake stuff.
I've always used original parts for it but I been doing it since you could find stuff in bone yards.
But I would suggest a disk conversion as soon as you can. Makes all the difference in driving the car. (I pull off the power brakes and steering a go manual)
2. I usually make the "mistake" of doing the mechanicals first, but that's because I'm limited in space and like to have the car at least rolling if not driving before I start body work because I need it mobile. So think about doing body work before anything else maybe so you don't wind up with an "oops" car. i.e. do all the mechanicals and then find problems you did not see which would change your outlook.

Awesome info guys, thanks this should get me going. As for the updated bolt pattern I have the oe aluminum slotted mags from what I believe was a formula s car that uses the old pattern but I may consider changing that in the future as finding 15” rubber these days is getting difficult.

Thanks for that dadsbee, I had a thread started up over there and was struggling a bit (also lost my password lol) I figured everyone over here seems pretty active still so what would it hurt to try? I’m still probably gonna bounce back and forth though if I am being honest.
I moderate over there too. You can't loose your password. There is a "I forgot my password" option where a notification is sent to your email with instructions how to change your password to something new.

I moderate over there too. You can't loose your password. There is a "I forgot my password" option where a notification is sent to your email with instructions how to change your password to something new.
That’s what I thought as well but then it didn’t recognize my email when I said I forgot my password almost like I never had an account lol?? Not a big deal I will get it figured out at some point, me and technology have a true love/hate relationship and this is why I prefer working on naturally aspirated, carbureted non-ecm vehicles
:rofl:
That’s not to say I can’t work on injected engines as long as it’s MPFI I’d just prefer not to lol

If you already have an 8 3/4 rear, I'd keep the small bolt pattern and upgrade to Kelsey-Hays front discs.

Welcome to the site, Even though mine are not installed yet, I went with Dr Diff as well. I wanted a 'stock looking' appearance and Dr Diff sells a setup based on Chrysler's 11" brakes like those installed in late B Bodies like Cordoba's etc. I'm going for a 70's correct appearance on mine so it was important not to look through the mags and see huge Wildwood calipers, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back