• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory 4bbl Holley on the 440?

Here’s what you’re investigating:
C8EF34AC-CA37-4F6D-AF11-D7766886A4C2.jpeg

E9C82D45-CFF2-4A33-B0F0-8E8E6FA37806.jpeg

Decodes as 1967, R-3867 Model 4160 440 engine, auto trans 570 CFM. Vehicles PDCY = Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial (thanks Bob)

Holley 80531, lower right, obviously.

DSC07632.JPG

Thanks everybody for the input. Yeah, I admit it's at least a bit odd to try to be by the book in a place where maybe your car is the only one done like this. However the decision comes from experience when I first tried to decide on the build. I started with f.a.s.t. in mind, then keeping in mind I would be competing in Europe, I might as well put Stealths instead of 906s, then why not trickflow 270s, and a Max Edge port Indy 440 2d, because it somewhat resembles stock, and paint everything turquoise? But then I was warned about detonation from the increased temps generated by using manifolds, so then I said it would be best to use headers...

It is a slippery slope, this. At some point I realised I had lost my original goal, so I had to step back, take a good, long look, and see what this car is about, what makes it special to me. And that is that I have a restoration that makes it look like it rolled out the factory door yesterday. So I reason everything I do, I must do in keeping with that original goal. Only make it fast, because kids need to see these cars at full tilt, not trailered everywhere, and rolled barely above idle. If this hobby has any chance of passing to the next generation, we need to make kids passionate about old cars, lest they keep thinking of automobiles like apliances, as many youngsters begin doing.

So after rebooting my build perspective, suddenly it makes sense to spend money on porting factory iron heads, or cutting up & rewelding a factory intake, or have a custom cam that makes the best out of the restrictive exhaust manifolds. BTW, any of you guys follow David Vizard & Uncle Tony with their Mission Impossible 318? I'm not exactly mirroring that, but the general idea goes in the same direction. If I swap a better part than what came from the factory, what justification would I have to stop there? Headers are just a couple hundred bucks away...

Thanks GrabberOrange69 for confirming that the 570cfm holley was on auto 440 mopars. Most probably it means the 350hp variant, judging mainly by the low flow... So I guess nobody can confirm that the 68 Charger had a Holley on the 440?

BSB67, do you mean the carb you mentioned was an option?

Last edited:
Today I just found out that the 1968 383 had a factory Holley carb option.
Can anybody confirm whether the 440 also had a 4bbl Holley carb option? With the ported manifold/heads, the carb becomes a major bottleneck, and I understand that the Holley can be seriously modified on the inside to go to 950-1000cfm. So does anybody have any additional info on 4bbl Holleys on the 440 from the factory? Thanks
I think you can run the 800 cfm Edelbrock carb in FAST. I would start there.

Have you run the car yet to see where you are at? You might find that there are a lot of other things you might want to work on before the carb.

BSB67, do you mean the carb you mentioned was an option?

Dwyane mentioned that the Holley 80531 might be a starting point to build into a factory look alike carb, so I posted a picture.

I think you can run the 800 cfm Edelbrock carb in FAST. I would start there.

Have you run the car yet to see where you are at? You might find that there are a lot of other things you might want to work on before the carb.
Oh, I definitely am :)

KG ported a set of 906s, CudaDude2 is hogging out a factory intake for me, and told me that Dwayne accepted to help me with a manifold cam. I am replacing the suspension & hunting a speed related vibration in the trans output/driveshaft, then I am ready to dissasemble the engine, reinforce the block with the BCR cap & girdle system, then put an ultralight 505 stroker. That's the plan. Now I already have the 800 AVS2, but if I could get more, it would really help.

Auto Transport Service
Back