• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory HP ratings: 1967 383 versus 1968/1969 383

Chino,

The difference between the 1968 {383/330 HP} and 1968 Road Runner and 1968 Super Bee {383/335 HP}.

* Exhaust Manifolds
* Primary Exhaust Pipes
* Windage Tray
* Camshaft
* Valve Springs

The carb is different also.

What are the casting and PNs of the different exhaust manifolds?

The carb is different also.

What are the casting and PNs of the different exhaust manifolds?

The Carter AVS {#4426S Manual Trans} and {#4401S Auto Trans} are the same,
both on the '1968' 383/330 HP and '1968' 383/335 HP engines.

383/330 HP - Exhaust Manifolds
Right....... #2532464
Left......... #2461307

383/335 HP - Exhaust Manifolds {Road Runner and Super Bee}
Right...... #2806900
Left........ #2843992

I had a 68 RR with a 383 4 speed
456 rear, cane cheater cam class legal, 8" slicks, hooker headers, little bit of head work, ran 12.8 at 103 mph stock class. Nobody could beat me. Still have many of the trophys from back in the day 1970. I must have got a good one from factory. Wish I still had the car

A little late to this party but my first ride in the 60s was a 64 Sport Fury with a 383 4bbl and torquefilte. It was equipped with a dual point distributor and the unsilenced air cleaner and was stock except for some ratty glass packs. I no doubt suffer from the - remember being faster than I was - syndrome, but it was a fairly quick car being on the light side. If the 330 HP rating was embellished, it was less so than the hydraulic lifter 396 Chevrolets and 390 Fords as I cleaned house on a bunch of them. It had a strange quirk with the transmission in that up to 40 mph if I stomped on the throttle it would go into first and for a moment it would launch like a rocket and then shift to second at somewhere just over 45 and squeal the tires hard on the shift. It did a lot to intimidate a number of cars certainly faster than me.

I took it to the strip one day but was the only car in my class - and on one run they put me up against a 66 Hemi Charger (stock). I figured this was not going to go well for me but I'll give it my best shot. Lights came down and we left together and heck if I didn't hang right there with him in first gear. Going into second he just started to steadily creep on ahead and keep pulling on me - but at the end we weren't that very far apart. I wouldn't venture after all these years to say by how many car lengths but I didn't get clobbered.

Another time a friend with a 63 409/340 Impala with PG but 4.11 gears and I had a go from a stop. The 4.11s did a lot to help that old PG 2-speed. Somewhere when I hit second he pulled his nose about 6 feet ahead of mine and we locked like that the rest of the way until I noticed the police car lights way behind us - which was another story.

Another match up was some friends in the Dads 390 4bbl Cougar. That one ended so bad by the end of first gear that I thought their car had stalled or something and I let off and went back to ask them why they had hesitated. He said he didn't hesitate and were accelerating as hard as it would. They made me swear to not tell anyone about the race.

Others I raced - 390 Mach 1, 429 Torino Cobra Jet 4 sp, usually we were well matched through first, maybe early second but then those inefficient heads would start to kill me. The worst I got embarrassed by was a 65 327 Malibu with a big cam and what must have been 4.56 o 4.88 gears. He not just beat me but scared me half to death when he launched his car next to me like a Saturn V rocket.

I basically didn't have a strong 3rd gear. Up to 75 or 80 the car pulled strong but fell off quickly after that. I later installed a 280 Crowler cam but that was actually a bad move and killed my off the line performance.

But anyway - I have fond memories of that 383 4bbl. In that time and at that age it gave me a bit of a thrill.

Last edited:
A little late to this party but my first ride in the 60s was a 64 Sport Fury with a 383 4bbl and torquefilte. It was equipped with a dual point distributor and the unsilenced air cleaner and was stock except for some ratty glass packs. I no doubt suffer from the - remember being faster than I was - syndrome, but it was a fairly quick car being on the light side. If the 330 HP rating was embellished, it was less so than the hydraulic lifter 396 Chevrolets and 390 Fords as I cleaned house on a bunch of them. It had a strange quirk with the transmission in that up to 40 mph if I stomped on the throttle it would go into first and for a moment it would launch like a rocket and then shift to second at somewhere just over 45 and squeal the tires hard on the shift. It did a lot to intimidate a number of cars certainly faster than me.

I took it to the strip one day but was the only car in my class - and on one run they put me up against a 66 Hemi Charger (stock). I figured this was not going to go well for me but I'll give it my best shot. Lights came down and we left together and heck if I didn't hang right there with him in first gear. Going into second he just started to steadily creep on ahead and keep pulling on me - but at the end we weren't that very far apart. I wouldn't venture after all these years to say by how many car lengths but I didn't get clobbered.

Another time a friend with a 63 409/340 Impala with PG but 4.11 gears and I had a go from a stop. The 4.11s did a lot to help that old PG 2-speed. Somewhere when I hit second he pulled his nose about 6 feet ahead of mine and we locked like that the rest of the way until I noticed the police car lights way behind us - which was another story.

Another match up was some friends in the Dads 390 4bbl Cougar. That one ended so bad by the end of first gear that I thought their car had stalled or something and I let off and went back to ask them why they had hesitated. He said he didn't hesitate and were accelerating as hard as it would. They made me swear to not tell anyone about the race.

Others I raced - 390 Mach 1, 429 Torino Cobra Jet 4 sp, usually we were well matched through first, maybe early second but then those inefficient heads would start to kill me. I basically didn't have a strong 3rd gear. I later installed a 280 Crowler cam but that was actually a bad move and killed my off the line performance.

But anyway - I have fond memories of that 383 4bbl. In that time and at that age it gave me a bit of a thrill.

I too love that deep drop into first gear, and screech at the shift.
So beautiful with bias ply tires.
I have always used the screech test as a simple measure of HP.
I changed only heads and cam on my 66 4-bbl to 68 RR versions, all else factory 66 parts. Did I notice?
Yes.
You get the raggy idle, and a better scream, but noticeable decrease in low rpm torque.
I wondered for years if I should go back to the 66 cam. It was definitely a lot torquier
and could really fling the car around with authority.

there is no such thing as a "66 or 67 383HP" engine...they were either 2bbl or 4bbl engine...the "HP" designation did not come into use until 68

I have a '64 383 that is stamped HP and a '67 383 2bbl that is of course not stamped HP. I'll sell both of them if anyone is interested.

I too love that deep drop into first gear, and screech at the shift.
So beautiful with bias ply tires.
I have always used the screech test as a simple measure of HP.
I changed only heads and cam on my 66 4-bbl to 68 RR versions, all else factory 66 parts. Did I notice?
Yes.
You get the raggy idle, and a better scream, but noticeable decrease in low rpm torque.
I wondered for years if I should go back to the 66 cam. It was definitely a lot torquier
and could really fling the car around with authority.

That matched my experience too when I installed the 280 cam - low end was quite a bit weaker.

Here is a picture of my 1962 dodge 343 HP 383 cubic inch. It came with 2 AFBs, larger exhaust valves and a hotter cam. 10.0 to 1 compression ratio. It has 3 inch exhaust pipes with the max wedge up swept headers. The story goes that the Dual 4's and manifold and valves were delivered in the trunk for dealer installed option. This was the hot ticket until the 413 Max Wedge came out. It ran B/S and B/SA in 1962-1963.

Mine is 0.060 over (394 Cubic Inches) . I have added electronic ignition.
Front View Eng 7-3-16.jpg

Here is a picture of my 1962 dodge 343 HP 383 cubic inch. It came with 2 AFBs, larger exhaust valves and a hotter cam. 10.0 to 1 compression ratio. It has 3 inch exhaust pipes with the max wedge up swept headers. The story goes that the Dual 4's and manifold and valves were delivered in the trunk for dealer installed option. This was the hot ticket until the 413 Max Wedge came out. It ran B/S and B/SA in 1962-1963.

Mine is 0.060 over (394 Cubic Inches) . I have added electronic ignition. View attachment 377967

Man that is Awesome and has to be the rarest 383 on the planet

Stumbled across this thread today. My 66 Satty has a 69 block stamped HP

I realize this thread is old and mostly 67 vs 68 has been discussed.
I always "assumed" 68 and 69 383 engines were pretty much the same?
In 69 I've done some 383 research from sales literature and original cars. So I am wondering if the 68 330hp manifold part numbers should be the same as the 335hp magnum in 68...from everything I have researched on 69 they are. Have not studied a 68 so I am asking.

What I found:

1969 2 barrel engine 383 had log manifolds and single exhaust.
1969 4 barrel 383 had hp manifolds and dual exhaust.(330 and 335 engines)
383 330hp turquoise color was air conditioning engine...had a smaller cam, no windage tray, different valve springs, stock timing chain,...the main hp/tq difference was the cam change, the other parts didnt really make more power.
In a 1969 charger or coronet if you did not want air conditioning...you got the hemi orange 335hp engine. The base engine in the 69 bee, also 4 speed non ac charger and coronet 335hp.
Also, sad to hear we lost 440 cuda..

Last edited:
The only input I have to this thread is a memory of Roger Huntington doing tests for what he called "real horsepower output" for the sixties musclecars. If I remember right, he said the 335hp runner was about 30 stronger than the 325horse and the 350horse chevelle. 375hp chevelle was a different animal. Listen for the solid lifter tick as a warning.

The only input I have to this thread is a memory of Roger Huntington doing tests for what he called "real horsepower output" for the sixties musclecars. If I remember right, he said the 335hp runner was about 30 stronger than the 325horse and the 350horse chevelle. 375hp chevelle was a different animal. Listen for the solid lifter tick as a warning.

1965 coronet 383
DSC05580.JPG

HP

Interesting read on the 383's....
In a way, I was "converted" to the way of the Mopar life by a 383, back like 40 years ago.
Typical Friday night street racing going on then, in this case in the industrial park nearby -
the "strip" was at the far dead end of the park and we had a whole system set up with lookouts,
CB radio communication, the whole bit.
The security guards for some of the warehouses would come out and watch sometimes even.
Got so crazy that guys started trailering in their not so legal cars. It was nuts, especially for an
urban area like the suburbs of DC!

I had a '68 Chevelle SS 396 that I was quite proud of back then. Triple black, every dang dollar I could
generate went into that car and she was sweet. The local famous speed shop had rebuilt the engine
(stock, 30 over) and she ran good...
I came up against a '68 RoadRunner 383 one night that I was told was "bone stock". Sounded like it was, so
off we went on $20....and he pulled a half-car on me and beat me!
I was like :eek:
Back in the "pits", a rather perturbed Ed started accusing the guy, who was much older than myself, of
misrepresenting his car - well ok, it was said in more youthful, colorful terms, but you get the gist.
Both of us were running 4 speeds. He had 3.55's, I had 3.73's.
None of this computed to me....
We go out again and same result - even with me jumping the start on him, he pulled a fender, then a door
on me AGAIN. Grrrrr......

Back in the pits, more accusations - until finally the engine builder from the local speed shop (a fella by the
name of Rick Dobbertin, who some of you might recognize the name of) walked over to defuse the situation.
Turned out, he had built both of our engines...

He turns to me and says "Ed, he's not lying to you. I built that 383 back stock and didn't even bore it, just
cleaned it up some. He wanted it stock, so that's what we did."
Well crap.... ok, then explain to me what the hell was going on here, Rick? Surely, it wasn't driving style?
"A couple things, Ed. For one, he's not afraid to wind that engine up - and it winds up a LOT quicker than
yours.
Second - he's got you on weight.
By a LOT...."
Aha, I said! He's gutted his car, it ain't "stock"!
"Uh no Ed - Mopars are unibodies. No separate frames - your car is just heavier, considerably heavier
stock for stock."
Ed's education into the ways of Mopar had begun that night....

My friend bought that Challenger T/A in his neighborhood he'd been lusting after since childhood shortly
thereafter and I started attending meets and shows with him.
By then, I had been bitten HARD by the Mopar bug and all those GM's (and yes, even a Ford or two) I'd
been through before sort of vanished into memory.

Moral of the story? You can't convince me a 383 isn't a legit weapon.... :)

I sure remember Dobbertin's blue nova! Twin turbo feeding a 6-71 blown big block if I recall right.
Yep, he had a few years there where his latest creations were on the cover of Car Craft or was winning
national shows and such. His shop (AA/Speed & Custom) was quite famous in the day and was a heck of
a hangout for us.

For what its worth. In 1974 I had a dead stock Dart GTS 383 convertible. 3.23 open diff, 4 speed, G70x14 polyglass. Only mod was a Hurst shifter. 14.5@95 at Milan Dragway

Auto Transport Service
Back