• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory inner fender mod

hangn0ut

Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Since my 64 plymouth is torn down,I been thinking about modding the pass side shock tower like the factory did with the a-990 cars. How was it done? Advice? Pictures? All help is appreciated.

Oh,it definitely helps. A lot. That's the best pics I have seen of the tower. It does appear that the upper mount becomes an inch or two lower. Thanks!

20170901_162551.jpg

Valve cover removal I believe. Didn't modify mine haven't pulled a cover but looks like unbolt engine mount and jack engine. If you don't run a X ram it maybe easy.

Last edited:
here's a photo of a motor in a stock front end just dummied up & it's very tight fit & will be hard to remove the valve cover especially if your running any type of roller rockers.

20170205_095119.jpg

Saw an NOS shock tower for an A990 on ebay years ago, it sold for $500 or $600.

My 65 is not modified. Both valve covers are snug to get off. To remove the passenger valve cover, I remove the front shock, tape up to protect the paint, remove spark plugs, and jiggle the cover over the valve train. Driver side is tight also, but a m/c offset bracket helped gain some clearance. Still have to remove spark plug tubes and jiggle over the valve train.
Header bolts are a PITA.

.facebook_1528118937857.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info really needed to see the pics. But would like to see more about max wedge please
Thank you

A body shop did mine. He also did his 64. I was hoping for a better photo but that's all folks ! Sorry. The white car you can clearly see how much lower the tower is. The blue car with aluminum covers and Indy Heads is still a bear to get off.
IMG_2732.jpg
DSC01143.JPG savoy5.jpg

Flipping the shock mount, couldn't you make a pattern that is some what triangular on the shock tower. Then cut it out and flip it over and weld it back in?

I see one of the 64 garage builds cut his all out and put a insert panels. Looks good but he has changed up the whole front suspension.

Fran,I'm pretty sure that's what they did.Cut it out and flip it over.Weld 'er up.

Auto Transport Service
Back