• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory repaired head?!?

ChargerChad

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I pulled a 440 out of a motor home with just over 32k on the odometer, engine is super clean inside… can still see the cross-hatching in the cylinder walls. Pulled the heads and one of the walls between the intake runners has been welded. It appears to be a solid weld. Would this have been repaired at the factory? I didn’t see any obvious signs of the motor ever being apart.

4B6A3A03-D0F5-4470-AE20-1C2D570AA630.jpeg

27C113BB-1EC0-4157-BFAA-42090456DD01.jpeg

I'd have to say no, that's pretty ugly. The factory would most likely have just grabbed another head from the pile and thrown it on rather than spend the time to "fix" it like that...but, you never know with the '70s auto workers...

Makes sense. Honestly I’m not sure why anyone would spend the effort welding up a 452 head on a motor home and then machining the intake surface flat, since you can get a pair of them for a hundred bucks.

Not factory. As said they would just toss a new head on it. It sure is a ugly looking repair.

Must have worked though. Who cares how it looks. :drinks:
Obviously the person who put it togeather did not give a Rats behind. I would never use it unless it was my last resort.

Obviously the person who put it togeather did not give a Rats behind. I would never use it unless it was my last resort.
Motor home. Stuck in Michigan in February with 4 screaming kids and a pissed off wife. Get it fixed and get er down the road. :D

My question is what would make it fail there, like that?
I do not think it was a failure. My thought it was dropped or something was dropped on it. Had to be an angle hit to break the wall. Without being there no one knows the story.

I do not think it was a failure. My thought it was dropped or something was dropped on it. Had to be an angle hit to break the wall. Without being there no one knows the story.
1/2 inch bolt sucked through the carb perhaps?:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back