• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory spare wheel and tire

bob32268

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Question: My 69 Charger has factory Magnum wheels...Did the factory put a Magnum in the trunk for spare or just a plain black steel wheel ? Also, I would
think that the spare tire was the same as the tires the factory installed.
Tks,
Bob32268

IMG_7636.JPG

If 67 and 69 are comparable, my original 67 GTX has magnum 500's, and the spare is a steel wheel with red line tires on all 5. My Superbird came with 14" Rallies and the spare is a steel wheel with the same RWL polyglass tire.

If 67 and 69 are comparable, my original 67 GTX has magnum 500's, and the spare is a steel wheel with red line tires on all 5. My Superbird came with 14" Rallies and the spare is a steel wheel with the same RWL polyglass tire.
Do you remember if the spare was mounted to show the Redline tire facing up or down, that is could you see the redline on the tire when you opened the trunk ?
Tks,
Bob32268

On the 67 the redline was was down, because the jack base and jack hook are in the dished side of the wheel with a threaded hook and a large wing nut. Then a spare tire well cover goes on and with a cup with a small wing nut securing it.
On the 70 Superbird which would be more like a 69, the white letters are showing when you open the trunk.
On both cars, the tires are mounted on the rims where the RWL's or redlines show correctly when mounted on the car.

20201204_153651.jpg
20201204_153502.jpg

This is what a 67 looks like in the trunk. Somewhere I have pictures of the Superbird trunk area, but I can't find them right now. If you have an original or reproduction trunk sticker for your car, the layout will be shown. Also reference a service manual or owners manual.

View attachment 1524717View attachment 1524718
This is what a 67 looks like in the trunk. Somewhere I have pictures of the Superbird trunk area, but I can't find them right now. If you have an original or reproduction trunk sticker for your car, the layout will be shown. Also reference a service manual or owners manual.
On the 67 the redline was was down, because the jack base and jack hook are in the dished side of the wheel with a threaded hook and a large wing nut. Then a spare tire well cover goes on and with a cup with a small wing nut securing it.
On the 70 Superbird which would be more like a 69, the white letters are showing when you open the trunk.
On both cars, the tires are mounted on the rims where the RWL's or redlines show correctly when mounted on the car.
Thank you so much for the information and pictures of the correct stowage for the spare tire.
Bob32268

The WW tire looks great in there, nice looking trunk.
Thank you mine came with white walls on the 500 road wheels but the spare was a standard steel rim.I also have the original scat pack tool box in there

Last edited:
Question: My 69 Charger has factory Magnum wheels...Did the factory put a Magnum in the trunk for spare or just a plain black steel wheel ? Also, I would
think that the spare tire was the same as the tires the factory installed.
Tks,
Bob32268

View attachment 1524607
Bob, this is what your 1969 Charger R/T came factory with on the spare tire. A 14X5.0 inch steel wheel with a Polyester tire. This is actually a 1968 Charger spare tire. Guy I bought it from said it was out of a 1969. Rim is dated 1-25-68. Tire I believe is dated the 91st day into 1968.

One of my Charger's still has what I think is the factory spare in the trunk. I know it hasn't ever been out of the trunk 34+ years that I have owned it

Auto Transport Service
Back