• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Undercoat

Rob'68Net

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:59 PM
Reaction score
Ok so does anyone know what the factory used for undercoating in 1968-69 ? More importantly, is there any product available today that looks close? I saw an episode of Graveyard Carz where they sprayed a B body, but of course they never said what the actual product was. Thanks! Rob

Ok so does anyone know what the factory used for undercoating in 1968-69 ? More importantly, is there any product available today that looks close? I saw an episode of Graveyard Carz where they sprayed a B body, but of course they never said what the actual product was. Thanks! Rob
I used Dominion Sure Seal Undercoating, and am happy with it.

We didn't spray under coating. In the plants we called it (MUD). Very heavy, thick. Actually, it was a sound deadener. Came in 55 gal drums. might have come from Ziebart? Never paid much attention. Could not be applied too thick it wouldn't stick.

Worman "Rinoliners" them.. not the way it was done!

This matches damn close to the OE stuff in my '66's wheel wells. Not sure that you'd get it thick enough to simulate full J55 undercoat though.

1966plysathp2pta 073.jpg
1966plysathp2pta 074.jpg

Whatever Ma used it sure worked damn well - at least on my 68 X. After buying the car in 71 it was treated like a baby regarding any bad weather driving. Always garaged, never driven in the rpain or God forbid snow. Up in Minn. But stored while I built a career and lived around the country., Had it stored in a pole barn with a loose rock floor. No underneath protection except that stuff. When resto time came the only part that was impacted was the trunk pan. Rusted to nothing - but the undercoating application didn't hit that part of the underside - assuming because of the gas tank being installed first. Undercarriage was like a baby’s butt - with undercoating on it. Good stuff unless you want a painted underside trailer Queen.

Whatever Ma used it sure worked damn well - at least on my 68 X. After buying the car in 71 it was treated like a baby regarding any bad weather driving. Always garaged, never driven in the rpain or God forbid snow. Up in Minn. But stored while I built a career and lived around the country., Had it stored in a pole barn with a loose rock floor. No underneath protection except that stuff. When resto time came the only part that was impacted was the trunk pan. Rusted to nothing - but the undercoating application didn't hit that part of the underside - assuming because of the gas tank being installed first. Undercarriage was like a baby’s butt - with undercoating on it. Good stuff unless you want a painted underside trailer Queen.
I agree. Good stuff. I recently crawled under my 68 to check things out after pulling the k member and rear end. Plan was to remove undercoating and paint body (someday). After checking that stuff out my new plan is to paint over the undercoating. Might use the rubberized undercoating they sell now. Virtually no rust where the factory stuff is. It is about 1/4 inch thick and ugly though.

Same with my '69 that was winter driven when new. Trunk floor was replaced, but the rest remained pristine.

I just found a video online where Will from Graveyard Carz is using a product called ValuGard undercoat. Anyone ever hear of it or use it ?

SGTPaul. Would you please explain the red x! If you have used it and found a problem, it would be beneficial if you let everyone know about it. Then they could avoid a possible issue.
Sorry must have fat fingered it. I removed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back