• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Failed Smog !

As I recall any engine swaps are a no-no.
Well... You can swap engines.. But.. You must use the emissions equipment from whichever is newer/stricter standards... In theory that even applies to genIII swaps into pre-76 vehicles but since they don't check pre-76 vehicles if you don't tell you're probably okay.. Until someone snaps pictures & sends it to CARB.... In which case you need all the Evap stuff, full catalytic convertors & every other system...

You can retard the timing and lean the idle to help. Fresh plugs might also help. Catalytic converter might need replacement?
I have fresh plugs and filter, oil change and all maintenance has been done . I'm not sure what else to do but to just take it to a smog repair .

Dont bet the house on the S.Dakota registration. I believe they just passed a law you have to have a physical address there now
wonder how that will affect the RV crowd. There's a private post office box store north of Rapid with 8,000 addresses. They claim a box counts as a physical address. The County loves the money, but I'm surprised California insurance companies let them get away with it.
I want to know if these people can register to vote in two States.

Motorcraft's, Autolite's, Holley's & even Carter's....
I know they used Holleys, Carters etc. (they even used the Quadrajet) but on the 460 I thought it was Motorcraft (which Autolite turned into) during the majority of the 70s. I'm not a Ford expert, just asking.

I always would put a pint of 99% alcohol in a quarter tank of gas before going to emissions. Really lowers CO. Now here in AZ collector car insurance exempts you from testing.

I know they used Holleys, Carters etc. (they even used the Quadrajet) but on the 460 I thought it was Motorcraft (which Autolite turned into) during the majority of the 70s. I'm not a Ford expert, just asking.
Motorcraft 4300 4bbl

06281137-2994911872.jpg

Autolite 4100 4bbl

001-338436008.jpg

It would be easier to vacate the communist state and move to a place where you can run whatever you want.

It would be easier to vacate the communist state and move to a place where you can run whatever you want.
There are a lot of reasons to leave... But grandchildren = no chance momma is going anywhere...

In Nevada, cars that are model year 1975 and older are not required to get a smog check. So if you’re driving an old clunker, you’re in the clear! However, all cars that are model year 1976 or newer must get a biennial smog check. That means that every two years, you’ll need to bring your car in for a test.

How bad is nevada compared to california?

How bad is nevada compared to california?
In the past it was worlds different... But since more Californians have moved to Nevada then the population of Nevada ever was... Well, Nevada is California light.... With even less water & more heat....

Move to Florida! no emissions testing or inspection. Although some Inspections would help with blinding misaligned headlights.

Problem with commiefornia is that you have to pass visual inspection plus the sniffer. So all the original crap has to be on the motor. Have any relatives in rural towns in another state like Utah,AZ, NV, ID? Now that you’ve been flagged, you’ll have to either fix it or register in a free state.

I had a car registered in Texas but they require an annual safety inspection... I'm not driving back to Texas for a safety inspection......

Motorcraft 4300 4bbl

View attachment 1642278

Autolite 4100 4bbl

View attachment 1642279
I've had both. What I meant to say was that both are Ford carbs; prior to 1972 they manufactured them under the Autolite name, after that they switched to Motorcraft. For example, this Autolite 4300 looks similar to the Motorcraft 4300. (1970 version for 429 shown). My 460 (1974 cop car with Interceptor engine) had the 4300 on it. 260 net hp. and 380 torque wasn't bad for 1974. I hadn't seen a 460 with a Carter on it.
1712466063707.png

Last edited:
I spent more time on VV carbs than Motorcraft/Autolite.. Graduated HS in 77 then spent 4 years in the Navy so most of the Motorcraft carbs I worked on were on friends cars or friends parents/grandparents cars... I started at a Ford dealership in 84, working on EEC III then EEC IV (OBD 1)So the end of carbs & early EFI up through SEFI & EEC V (OBD 2)..

Auto Transport Service
Back