• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan selection

69clone

Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
Ok so my last post involved me tearing up my aluminum radiator due to my 5 blade fan hitting it when I rev'd it. I'm torn do I run an electric fan(s) or try another mechanical fan. I am tight on space so I already have a Jag thermo clutch that is like 2.63". Is there another fan that isn't a ticking time bomb that is fairly thin and does the job? Otherwise I am looking at 2 12" SPAL fans and a Champion radiator 26" 3 rows. This is all for a 440 stroker 6-650hp range.

They heavy duty Hayden 2947 is a tad smaller that the original jag clutch. I'm using it with a 1/2 between the core and clutch......with a 4 speed.

I had really good luck with a flex lite, but I'm switching to a bigger motor, bigger radiator, and will be going with electric fans. I was told to tread lightly over 600 horse with a champion radiator. I am going to go with wizards entire system.

You'll need at least 4500 cfm from electric fans to cool a built engine.

Wow, 4500 seems awfully high to me if it's tuned right and correctly shrouded. Do you have any more insight with that?

A mechanical fan, depending on the size and pitch of the blades, pulls a **** ton of air. Electric fans work well, but you'll need 2, at least pulling 2000 cfm each. Google is your friend.

They heavy duty Hayden 2947 is a tad smaller that the original jag clutch. I'm using it with a 1/2 between the core and clutch......with a 4 speed.
I was looking at that. Mine is actually the Hayden 2765 which looks to be just a hair shorter than the 2947. I had about 1/4th inch with the original 5 blade fan but once it rev'd I guess the blades flexed and dug right into the radiator.

I had really good luck with a flex lite, but I'm switching to a bigger motor, bigger radiator, and will be going with electric fans. I was told to tread lightly over 600 horse with a champion radiator. I am going to go with wizards entire system.
I was considering something like a flex fan til I read reviews of blades coming apart and going through hoods. That is the first warning I've heard on the radiator. Do you know someone with issues? I will look at the wizards system.
You'll need at least 4500 cfm from electric fans to cool a built engine.
That is why I tried to squeeze a mechanical fan in because I knew I would need a lot of cfm and thats money I rather not spend and amp's I can't really support with my current setup.

The stock fans don't really "flex", so if it fit & the fan hit the radiator, either the water pump shaft is getting loose or the radiator moved back....just sayin'.

On the cooling, for what it's worth, here's my experience with it & my 440.
1. 26" 4-row C-body radiator + big puller electric = overheat in traffic
2. + two small puller electrics = overheat in traffic
3. + two small pushers + big puller = overheat on highway
4. Champion 4-row + stock fan & heavily modified stock shroud = PIA to install radiator, but now runs 180-190 traffic or highway.

The Champions are "decent" for a cheap, poorly fitting radiator that barely cools....maybe "good" since it cools. I'm sure the 2-rows with the 1"+ tubes would be the best cooling choice with a stock fan/shroud. Some guys claim to be OK in street cars with electric fans, but I haven't had much luck with them. I just tossed all 3 electric fans in the trash last weekend.

If the fan is close enough motor mount flex can allow the fan to hit the radiator on hard braking.

Well i was sitting in the driveway with the *** end jacked up 2ft testing the trans so maybe all the weight pushed it all forward. But I am running a motor plate so the motor sure didn't twist it could have bowed forward though as I don't have a limiter yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back