• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Shroud

wedgie

Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong or old timer's disease is setting in.
Because I'm going to install AC, I'm trying to put a fan shroud on my '63 Polara with a 318 poly engine. Pulled the radiator for cleaning, mounted the 4 shroud brackets. Dry fit the 2 piece shroud. Fit well, even around the lower radiator hose neck. Took the shroud off. Installed the radiator and WTF? The offset for the fan is backwards. The attached pic is a file photo for an Early B reproduction shroud, but it is exactly the same as my original.
If you look at the attached picture, note that the opening for the fan is offset to the batteryside from center. The lower radiator hose is on the battery side. You're looking at the shroud from the radiator side.
The rank amateur pictures are me holding eack half where they would fit the radiator brackets. Trying to show the fan/shroud relationship.
I have to be doing something wrong.

Fan shroud.jpg

shroud lower fitment.jpg

shroud lower fitment01.jpg

shrout upper fitment.jpg

shrout upper fitment02.jpg

I don't know the specifics related to your car/engine/radiator....but in general, if you say "the offset goes to the wrong side" it makes me wonder if the shroud is upside down?

Bingo. I have a non AC radiator and the shroud is for an AC car.
DUH! Do I feel like a dummy. I either need to find a non AC top half for the shroud or do some extensive slice and dice to this one. The Bouchillon AC compressor mount for my poly wouldn't allow a AC radiator position hose.
Thank you gentlemen.

Bingo. I have a non AC radiator and the shroud is for an AC car.
DUH! Do I feel like a dummy. I either need to find a non AC top half for the shroud or do some extensive slice and dice to this one. The Bouchillon AC compressor mount for my poly wouldn't allow a AC radiator position hose.
Thank you gentlemen.

The cutout for the hose goes at the top.

7423.JPG

Here's some info and parts...

Post in thread 'Photos Wanted - Fan Shroud' Photos Wanted - Fan Shroud

That's where I F'd up. The hose cutout fit so well on the lower when I mocked it up.
60 years ago, I wouldn't have made that bonehead mistake.
I know that y'all are having a big chuckle. I'm calling myself names, and they aren't nice names.
I really can't thank you all for enlightening me.
Attached, see what I did.

Now back to researching underdash units for the AC.

done01.jpg

done02.jpg

Nothing wrong about admitting a mistake. Believe me over my lifetime i made plenty, and i admitted them. Oh, i forgot my boatload of regret too....sigh.

Auto Transport Service
Back