• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fast Idle Solonoid

JedIEG

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone running a fast idle solonoid when their A/C compressor engages? My engine is bogging down from 600-650 rpm to 490rpm at idle, in gear, with the A/C on. I would like to keep idle around 600-650 in all conditions and was looking at adding a fast idle solonoid. Any suggestions on a source or alternative?

I think Classic Industries may have them. If you are looking for a used one, you will need to start a parts wanted ad.

I'm in the middle stages of this project right now.

Actually 2 projects.

One for my factory BBD 2 barrel and one for an Edelbrock.

I have 2 factory solenoids from 5th Avenues but both are bad.
The challenge here is to separate the mount that looks like it's high pressure spot welded.

Edelbrock sells a solenoid and bracket but it is $200.

Holley sells one at $100.

Finding aftermarket idle stop solenoids is easy.

Finding fast idle units is not.

I have noticed that there is one design that seems to be for either application and is very similar to the ones sold by Holley and Edelbrock.

They can be had for as little as $35.

The Holley bracket can be bought separate for about $25.

The Eddy can not, but looks somewhat easy to fabricate.

The issue with idle stop vs fast idle is that idle stop is a momentary application and the coils inside can be much thinner. Fast idle is a constant application and could potentially burn out a coil not built for it.

Finding a place for the plunger to engage the linkage can also be an issue.

The BBD will need one welded on and positioned so it does not interfere with the normal idle speed adjustment and travel of the linkage.

The edddy simply engages the linkage at or near the "big hole" area.

What carb is the OP working with?

BTW the factory idle speed spec is different for AC cars.

I can't remember OTTOMH the exact difference, but it's an attempt to split the difference and not have it too high with the AC off or way too low with it on.

I believe mine is around 650 off and 575 on.

My issue is that in stop and go/city driving with the AC on, my stock 318 gets hot.
Shifting out of drive at red lights helps so I'm thinking about a 100-125 RPM boost from the solenoid will just about cure it.

Anyone have a picture of the OEM solenoid? We may have some NOS ones.

For what carb?

Yes, I'm running one on my 67 GTX with air. I bought the parts through Summit. Works very well. You have to slightly depress the accelerator if turning the AC on while the engine is running as will not push the throttle open - but once engaged it will hold the higher idle speed. I did a somewhat mickey mouse wiring job into the power connection to the AC clutch but it's not been a problem. I have an Edelbrock 800 cfm carb.
IMG_3659_zpsntqeddkc.JPG
IMG_3659_zpsntqeddkc.JPG
IMG_3661_zpsj06k5qvg.JPG

I'm running a QFT 4160 and my car came with a Holley 4160 in the trunk with a solenoid bracket. I have seen the $100 Holley replacement but I would prefer something more economical considering the compressor is only $200.

yep.

I feel they are WAY overpriced considering my 2019 samsung smart phone was only $99.

That's why I posted the info about the generic solenoids that look like the ones offered by Holley and Edelbrock.

hat's why I posted the info about the generic solenoids that look like the ones offered by Holley and Edelbrock.

Sorry I missed that. Do you know a good source for a generic solenoid? I have not seen much other than the holley one and one from a Corvette restoration site for a bit less.
I am going to look at an old holley 2bbl off my Grandfather's 71 Newport soon and I am hoping it has one I could use, but that has been sitting in my dad's garage for 30+ years.

I think 71 is too early

ebay

yep.

I feel they are WAY overpriced considering my 2019 samsung smart phone was only $99.

That's why I posted the info about the generic solenoids that look like the ones offered by Holley and Edelbrock.
Your smart phone was originally $1000. Your carrier will make up for the difference through your monthly bill. LOL

At $35 per month, I doubt it :)

This is the one that looks virtually identical to the ones Edelbrock and Holley sell as a fast idle application even though these are listed as idle stop-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Idle-Stop-...603086&hash=item5477a713be:g:0P4AAOSw7YVeQz~s

I just bought one, so we will see how it goes.

They are current production with many vendors.
Prices are all over the place with $50-$60 being average.
...all the way to $120, but occasionally as low as $35 if you keep looking.

I did luck into one that was listed as "Idle UP" brand specifically for high idle.
It looks like the longer style that I see marketed as specific to gm applications of both high idle and idle stop.

After I mow the grass, I'm headed to the shop to see about drilling out the welds on my BBD bracket and removing the toasted OEM solenoid.

Bingo. Solenoid on a Holley 2210 off my Grandfather's 360 Newport, and it even still works after sitting around for 40 years.
20200901_141333.jpg

Interesting.

Not familiar with that carb.

Kind of looks like the one I have from a 73 400, but it has no solenoid.

I drilled out the pins holding the solenoid on my BBD bracket and found I need to enlarge the center hole from approximately 1/2" to 7/8!

Waiting on a set of extra large bits......

Looks like the one you found mounts on the other side of the carb.

What carb is it going on again?

I'm currently stewing on the mods I'll need to do for the linkage.

My 5th Ave carb has it, but it's a separate part, sandwiched on the throttle plate pivot rod ahead of the idle adjustment stop piece.

Not sure I want to take all that apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back