• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Felpro 8519SP and 8519PT1 Head gaskets.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
Gathering parts to put this 440 back together. I noticed it has 8519 Shim head gaskets along with the 8519PT1 head gasket. Is there a purpose for the steel shim/copper gasket other than to lower compression or shim up for valve clearance? My dilemma is that I cannot find the 8519SP shims anywhere. I have found the felpro 8519PT1 gaskets. I did find a SCE gasket but has a slight difference in crushed thickness.

The SP is 0.020 in. and the SCE is 0.021 in. Would it make a world of difference being a tad thicker?
The 8519PT1 is 0.039 in.

Or could I bypass doing the shim and a 0.039 gasket by doing a single gasket at 0.059 Which is still a bit thicker but I cant find one that is 0.058

Last edited:
Gathering parts to put this 440 back together. I noticed it has 8519 Shim head gaskets along with the 8519PT1 head gasket. Is there a purpose for the steel shim/copper gasket other than to lower compression or shim up for valve clearance? My dilemma is that I cannot find the 8519SP shims anywhere. I have found the felpro 8519PT1 gaskets. I did find a SCE gasket but has a slight difference in crushed thickness.

The SP is 0.020 in. and the SCE is 0.021 in. Would it make a world of difference being a tad thicker?
The 8519PT1 is 0.039 in.

Or could I bypass doing the shim and a 0.039 gasket by doing a single gasket at 0.059 Which is still a bit thicker but I cant find one that is 0.058
I would say you need to give information on your engine since you are talking about thickness of head gaskets.

Where are the pistons in relation to the deck? Somebody shimmed that block for a reason.

I would say you need to give information on your engine since you are talking about thickness of head gaskets.
I sort of inherited this engine with a chewed cam. I have torn it down to clean it out and up. The pistons sit pretty close to deck height. The 8519SP and 8519PT1 Both on each head. So they shimmed it for a reason I think either to drop compression ratio or valve clearance. The engine ran fine prior to the cam chew So the combo worked. This engine was weird from day one in his car. First off it was not getting oil on the passenger side head. I discovered they had the shaft turned downside up. Fixed that but had to replace one worn rocker. Everything was fine and the owner decided to put new pushrods in it. Well The pushrods he installed were wrong I do believe which helped to wipe the cam. So he ended up giving up on the engine and I got it from him. Im just thinking to make it simple just replace the gaskets with new ones and match the crushed thickness of the 2. One is a shim as we know and the other is a common .039 gasket. The other shim I can find is .021 and the one that was in the engine was .020 Just wondering how much that .001 will make a difference.

Its a 440 .060 over, forged crank, LY rods with ARP bolts I'm not sure what the pistons are just yet as I was collecting parts before I start to fully take apart the rotating assembly. I will go take some pictures of the piston at TDC I don't have a good way to measure piston height other than feeler gauges and a straight edge. lol

I sort of inherited this engine with a chewed cam. I have torn it down to clean it out and up. The pistons sit pretty close to deck height. The 8519SP and 8519PT1 Both on each head. So they shimmed it for a reason I think either to drop compression ratio or valve clearance. The engine ran fine prior to the cam chew So the combo worked. This engine was weird from day one in his car. First off it was not getting oil on the passenger side head. I discovered they had the shaft turned downside up. Fixed that but had to replace one worn rocker. Everything was fine and the owner decided to put new pushrods in it. Well The pushrods he installed were wrong I do believe which helped to wipe the cam. So he ended up giving up on the engine and I got it from him. Im just thinking to make it simple just replace the gaskets with new ones and match the crushed thickness of the 2. One is a shim as we know and the other is a common .039 gasket. The other shim I can find is .021 and the one that was in the engine was .020 Just wondering how much that .001 will make a difference.

Its a 440 .060 over, forged crank, LY rods with ARP bolts I'm not sure what the pistons are just yet as I was collecting parts before I start to fully take apart the rotating assembly. I will go take some pictures of the piston at TDC I don't have a good way to measure piston height other than feeler gauges and a straight edge. lol
.001 is a mute issue. Myself I would just go with a single gasket.

You have several choices for a single head gasket, from .020, .039, .051, .060, .080. If you were at what .059, I would go with the Cometic .060.

.001 is a mute issue. Myself I would just go with a single gasket.
I just went out and half assed some pictures of the piston height. I used a speed square across the piston. If I had to make a guess Id say around 5 or so below deck height.
IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG
IMG_7349.JPG

You have several choices for a single head gasket, from .020, .039, .051, .060, .080. If you were at what .059, I would go with the Cometic .060.
That's what I was thinking. It made sense in my head but wanted to check with you guys that know more than I do.

Not sure why they would have gone so thick with gaskets, unless they needed valve clearance. Your installing a different cam, so you need to start over, or start somewhere. I don't think that you need that thick of a head gasket. Someone else here may have an idea where your compression may be. That too could make a difference in head gasket choice. Head gasket needs to fit your overbore also, let's see, you are at 4.380 bore?

Last edited:
Not sure why they would have gone so thick with gaskets, unless they needed valve clearance. Your installing a different cam, so you need to start over.
I figured either valve clearance or a drop in compression. But Id like to believe it was for valve clearance. Forgot to mention that they are 906 heads. I think I need to roll on over to harbor freight to pick up some measuring devices lol.

I figured either valve clearance or a drop in compression. But Id like to believe it was for valve clearance. Forgot to mention that they are 906 heads. I think I need to roll on over to harbor freight to pick up some measuring devices lol.
How much lift on the cam? I ran Ross 12.5 pistons with a 6.20 lift with lots of clearance.

You will be fine with the 8519PT1. It is designed for a larger bore but will still work fine on a smaller bore.
Stupid question can you re use steel shim head gaskets? I mean these are copper but a shim none the less. The look to be in decent shape. I think I know the answer already but hell thought id ask.

Stupid question can you re use steel shim head gaskets? I mean these are copper but a shim none the less. The look to be in decent shape. I think I know the answer already but hell thought id ask.
I guess you could. Myself I would not.

I was thinking now that Mancini has started selling the Purple cams again About this one. Mancini Racing PurpleShaft Cam & Lifter Kit

Fits: B/RB 361-440, 284/484 Hyd Flat Tappet

.484" / .484" Lift. 239/239 Duration @ .050" 108 + 0 L/C

One Bolt Pattern

Street / Strip

Like the way it sounds.

I would go with the .040 minimum. The pistons will hit the heads with a steel .022.
Also should cc the chambers and get a real calculation on compression.
Measure the old cam.
It would have to be huge, or installed incorrectly to have p/v clearance issues.

I think the extra gasket is do to compression , but I have been known to be wrong at times. I would not be willing to reuse the gasket,not worth the risk for me.

I agree but thought id ask. Anyone used the 484 purple cam? This was a very stout engine before the cam issues. I wish I had the cam still but I let the junk guy take it. 5 of the lobes were completely gone and it mushroomed 5 lifters I had to take out from the inside. Found out a piece of pvc pipe with a notch cut into it is great for retrieving them.

were the push rods the right ones?

Auto Transport Service
Back