• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender tag, VIN and build sheet match. Body stamps do not

Oh well, heck, that's not a big deal, nor uncommon, it's just a transpose of digits.
If the Vin was 9B123456 and the body said 9a546983, you might have a problem.

I'm paranoid about putting the VIN# out there.

Understand. You can send the pics to someone you trust or black out part of the VIN then post. Is sounds like a simple transposing of numbers (it happened) but without pictures, We're still still to help but are limited in what we can offer for an explanation.

Last edited:
Thank you to all that have responded. I'm paranoid about putting the VIN# out there. The difference in numbers is only the last three sequence numbers, Title,VIN, build sheet, fender tag all have ***828 the body has ***298. another thing is the fender tag (underside of tag also with the correct lack of even spray from the tag being bent up) is the same color as the body (Q5) Bright Turquoise. The package tray still has original color, all other paint was removed by PO. Wouldn't someone have to had a body of the same color to swap out vin,sheet,tag, title to accomplish this if it's a re-body? anythings possible I guess but that seems unlikely as the color isn't that common. I was just trying to see if there was a simple explanation for the discrepancy, seems like maybe something happened in the long past.
You have pretty much convinced yourself of the cars status. You may have a Hot wheels car literally. One will never know then. Pandoras box will stay closed.

Oh well, heck, that's not a big deal, nor uncommon, it's just a transpose of digits.
If the Vin was 9B123456 and the body said 9a546983, you might have a problem.
OK I'll go with this. Thanks to all for the help.

At the end of the day does it really matter? I understand that if someone bought an R/T or a 500 and found this out they would be very pissed. Does anyone care that a 318 car had its number messed with in the distant past? I would do as eldubb440 suggests and either weld over the numbers or remove them, put this mystery to bed and enjoy your car.

At the end of the day does it really matter? I understand that if someone bought an R/T or a 500 and found this out they would be very pissed. Does anyone care that a 318 car had its number messed with in the distant past? I would do as eldubb440 suggests and either weld over the numbers or remove them, put this mystery to bed and enjoy your car.

Well, there are documented typos and mistakes.
Either way, I'm feeling like ultimately it's not the best scenario, but I will proceed with the build as planned. Again thanks to all who responded.

Suppose a car was smashed in the front and back. Radiator support and trunk gutters had to be replaced with donors.
What would the consequnces be as far as title/registration? Anyone ever ran into this?

30 years ago I restored a 68 Cutlass W31 Ram Rod 350 4 speed that was pretty rare. It was a front and rear collision car, I replaced the drivers full rear qtr and bumpers etc. and right front with a donor car.
As far as I was concerned it was still the same rare car except it had been wrecked and repaired by me.
When I sold it to a well versed buyer, he was fine with it being a repaired car.
Our cars got into trouble just like we did

Ma Mopar does screw the numbers up on occasion. Not quite the same but when I was Service Mgr at a Mopar dealership, in the 90’s, we had a brand new Chrysler Town and Country delivered with a Dodge VIN.

There are many known factory misstamps out there. Fender tags and body stamps. Possible your car is original and is another example of one.

It's clearly a rebody. It's also not a pristine numbers matching restoration, so who cares and you haven't been ripped off. Enjoy the car. Just be sure to report the truth when you come to sell the car.

It's clearly a rebody. It's also not a pristine numbers matching restoration, so who cares and you haven't been ripped off. Enjoy the car. Just be sure to report the truth when you come to sell the car.

Sounds like we need pictures before we can help.

Otherwise, we're just guessing and cannot give an accurate answer.

Could be a typo. Could be a rebody. No pics = We don't have enough information to draw a conclusion one way or the other.

I have an early b-body, the #s stamped on the rad support were either done crappy, or time hasn't been kind, or both.

If I didn't know what the #s should be, I might not get it right, I could probably look at them upside down and get a different #.

Thank you to all that have responded. I'm paranoid about putting the VIN# out there. The difference in numbers is only the last three sequence numbers, Title,VIN, build sheet, fender tag all have ***828 the body has ***298. another thing is the fender tag (underside of tag also with the correct lack of even spray from the tag being bent up) is the same color as the body (Q5) Bright Turquoise. The package tray still has original color, all other paint was removed by PO. Wouldn't someone have to had a body of the same color to swap out vin,sheet,tag, title to accomplish this if it's a re-body? anythings possible I guess but that seems unlikely as the color isn't that common. I was just trying to see if there was a simple explanation for the discrepancy, seems like maybe something happened in the long past.
NOW !! That's a
1655992890738.png
. As others have correctly stated, factory mis-stamps occasionally do occur. When a couple of digits are transposed, or incorrect order. I've seen it myself. Appears to me it may be the case here on your car. Johnny Hangover has been known to mis-stamp a few cars on the assembly line.

Without seeing any photos of the car or numbers in question....my $$$ is on a factory mis-stamp.

My 68 Coronet 500 convertible I restored was borderline bad enough to go to the wreckers as it was rusty and had been in a one/several accidents so the rad support was hacked with pieces of metal welded on to hold rad in place, the rear quarters had been hacked/replaced at some time as well so the trunk lip number was no longer present.

During the resto I had to replace with parts from many other cars so my rad support numbers don't match, and there is no number on my trunk lip now. I have pics showing the work done so I'm not trying to hide anything.

Back in the day I had a friend who had a real bad experience at the registry trying to register a Charger, they made him jump through hoops to get the car on the road. After that he just moved rhe dashboard and license plates from one Charger to the next one and so on vowing never to go through the registry bullshit again! This kind of **** went on Back then.

I've got a 69 Charger that I've had a few years. Came from a trusted friend I've known for 35+ years. I noticed recently the body stampings on the trunk rail and the radiator support match each other, but not the VIN, fender tag and build sheet. What gives? I checked the Title against VIN# when I bought the car, but was not aware of the other body stampings at that time. This car has been in my friends possession about 25 years or so and I know everything is fine within his ownership. Is this a re-body? Doesn't seem like that would have been likely given the value at the time. And it's a 318 originally. Any thoughts?
What you have here is what is called an error during stamping. (yes they did make mistakes) If all the numbers match except the last 3 then I would say that they messed the last digits up and if you look at the numbers I would say 99% thats what the issue is. I had a car with 3 digits off and I currently own a 68 Super Bee that I have fender tag build sheet and the last digit was stamped wrong on the body in both places. I think you said that the rest of the digits matched if I am correct. There is no way it would be a rebody if that is the case. You would have had to find a car right in the same sequence with the same exact color etc. no way!!. So I don't see any issue with the car at all. I would not post the vin either. People start linking your vin with sketchy posts and then people start believing your car is a re-body when I am very certain it is not. Great car. I have owned quite a few of them over the years and they are going for crazy money right now. If you ever need any parts for it let me know.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back